Close call in the dressing room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using this thread to decompress afterpunishing myself reading DIR/Non-DIR slugfests. This is great.:D

ScubaJackie:
OMG I must share. I didn't have a vest I had a t shirt type thing that I borrowed from my brother the kayaker. It was neoprene and had short sleeves. Getting it on was no problem and I was toasty warm on the dive.

But then I had to get it off. I couldn't slide my arms through so I decided to grab the bottom and peel it off over my head. This worked until my arms where stuck above my head with the shirt thing around them. I couldn't pull it anyfurther off, I couldn't pull it down.

My husband was laughing so hard it took him a minute to remember proper buddy procedures and come to my aid. He pulled one way I pulled the other, it poped off my head and I ended up on my bum. Sigh. I cut the arms off the shirt and it hasn't tried to attach me since. Thank you for alowing me to share.

I can tell this thread has assisted you. I am so glad you could finally release that story. It is all okay now. You can relax :D

BTW - do you need a hug :) :)

Codyjp:
check out DRAN

or, Dressing Room Alert Network.

see www.dran.org

Offering single, Group, Family and Dive shop insurance.

I tried on about 8 wetsuits at my LDS when i was shoping and the last was the oneil J type with that built in hood. i think i WAS close to death getting it off with the built in hood! when my girlfriend tried on her first one and it fit great i was like, lucky you, lets get the #($# out of here!

:rofl2:

TimAZ:
I've been using this thread to decompress afterpunishing myself reading DIR/Non-DIR slugfests. This is great.:D

Only no decompression reading is permitted here!!!!!

tedtim:
Only no decompression reading is permitted here!!!!!

I know you meant well by this statement, but it is not entirely accurate. We only forbid planned decompression reading. It is perfectly understandable for someone planning a safe read to go into deco in a DIR forum without realizing it until it is too late. In such cases, a 6 hour deco stop in a forum like this is not only acceptable, it is mandatory.

Footslogger:
ScubaJackie:
...not a "dressing room" story exactly but your post caused me to remember an incident on a dive boat many years ago.

A woman was up under the awning of the boat attempting to remove her wet suit layers. When it came to the hooded vest she did the same as you ...and grasped the bottom edge, pulling it up and over her head in one fell swoop. Only problem was that her bathing suit top (it was a 2 piece) went along for the ride. Need I say more ??

There she stood, entoombed in neoprene well up over her eyebrows but otherwise flapping in the breeze, as it were.

You just had to be there ...

'Slogger

Is there a "right thing" for the other divers on the boat to do in a situation like this? I went through the Rescue Diver Manual and found nothing of use.

Should one help remove the offending vest?
Should one help replace the offending vest?
Should one simply wrap a towel around the victim?
Should one ask if the victim needs assistance?
Or should one simply pretend did not notice so that the victim can pretend it didn't happen?

ItsBruce:
Footslogger:
Is there a "right thing" for the other divers on the boat to do in a situation like this? I went through the Rescue Diver Manual and found nothing of use.

Should one help remove the offending vest?
Should one help replace the offending vest?
Should one simply wrap a towel around the victim?
Should one ask if the victim needs assistance?
Or should one simply pretend did not notice so that the victim can pretend it didn't happen?
did the person have their mask on forehead??

i usually find that this is a good indicator of being distressed and therefore if so, all assistance is usually gratefully accepted :)

almitywife:
ItsBruce:
did the person have their mask on forehead??

i usually find that this is a good indicator of being distressed and therefore if so, all assistance is usually gratefully accepted :)

No. According to the prior post, she had a hooded vest on her forehead. As to the mask, at the risk of becoming the target of ridicule, my observations are that a mask on forehead means either one of two things: (1) the person is in distress, or (2) the person is not in distress. NOTE: I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT I BELIEVE IT TO MEAN, JUST WHAT WHAT I'VE OBSERVED.

boulderjohn:
I know you meant well by this statement, but it is not entirely accurate. We only forbid planned decompression reading. It is perfectly understandable for someone planning a safe read to go into deco in a DIR forum without realizing it until it is too late. In such cases, a 6 hour deco stop in a forum like this is not only acceptable, it is mandatory.

Ok, as long as I am also permitted to enjoy an adult decompression beverage of my choice at the same time if I do slip into a mandatory deco stop (wait, that is another board, I did not mean it like that). This is at some risk of spilling or spewing some of it on my keyboard while reading this thread.:D

Back
Top Bottom