Climate Change Pays a Visit to the Caribbean and Coral Reefs Suffer? Do you believe t

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nigeria is probably the worst anything only contested by somalia in certain areas..

Problem is that said oil companies is not likely to be nigerian though..

... it's predominantly Dutch (Shell) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post Merged at 03:45 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:35 AM ----------

Because God doesn't demand I turn over a 40% of my income for nonsense under threat of prison. GW isn't a matter of faith God is.

1) Apparently you've never heard of tithing ... or hell. The prison sentence God threatens you with has a term of eternity.
2) It's a non-sequitur, but at least you've cleared up that the motivation for your beliefs is purely financial.
3) Developing a more sustainable lifestyle will cost your kids and grandkids way more than than it would cost us.

No problem ever got resolved by denying its existence ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post Merged at 03:53 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:35 AM ----------

I thought it was based on the fact that the earth has been warming and cooling and warming again for 6 billion years long before we got here.

That's a true statement, but rendered effectively meaningless because it's so often used out of context.

The earth is constantly undergoing warming and cooling cycles. Those cycles extend over millenia ... or eons ... allowing adaptive processes to maintain a balance. Even so, in the process, species extinction occurs within those life forms unable to adapt to the changes. In contrast, the changes we are discussing are taking place over decades ... far too fast for adaptation to have any meaning at all. Species extinction will not be based on survival of the fittest ... no species can adapt that fast, including humans. Species survival may well boil down to who is ruthless enough to kill his neighbor and steal his food ... and money won't mean a damn thing, since you won't be able to eat it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You people need to get back on topic. I posted some very dramatic information that demonstrates unless we all become vegetarians, the earth will burn up and be nothing but a cinder block in as few as the next 100 years.

It's obvious I've also solved the mystery of what happened to the dinosaurs also.

If 97% of scientist beleive the current biomass of cattle, sheep and pigs contributes to 20% of the global warming problem, and the population of earth keeps rising and we have to raise more and more farm animals to feed ourselves, the earth is doomed!!!

What happens when the population doubles in the next 30 years and we double the bio mass of cattle, sheep and pigs and that 20% number now becomes 40%!!!??? Doubling the amount of animal farts is surely something the planet will not be able to take and we will reach the tipping point of methane production destroying us through ever accelerating global warming! According to my latest computer model the earth temperature will reach an average summer temperature of 820 degrees by 2100, all caused by pigs, cows, sheep, monkeys etc.. farting.

Is everybody reaching the same conclusion with me now in regard to how it's obvious also what happened to the dinosaurs? The mystery is solved, they obviously reached a critical bio mass and indirectly farted themselves to death! Their methane production raised the temperature of the planet back then to a point where they cause a mass extinction of their own species!

We are doomed to follow the path of the dinosaurs if humans don't turn to all become vegans and reduce the pigs, sheep and cattle who are destroying our planet!

What happens when the population doubles in the next 30 years and we double the bio mass of cattle, sheep and pigs and that 20% number now becomes 40%!!!??? Doubling the amount of animal farts is surely something the planet will not be able to take and we will reach the tipping point of methane production destroying us through ever accelerating global warming! According to my latest computer model the earth temperature will reach an average summer temperature of 820 degrees by 2100, all caused by pigs, cows, sheep, monkeys etc.. farting.
I am all for population control. China has done so. Because of the word "Freedom" it is impossible in the USA though. Overpopulation is sexually transmitted...and typically by stupid people, often on welfare.

Overpopulation will be the downfall of mankind. Running out of clean drinking water, will come soon enough to begin the show.

I speak of the combined taxes and fees I pay to the federal, state, and local govts. What else would it be? Do you get tokeep more than 60% of what you earn? If you do your taxes are too low.

Can someone explain how CO2 traps the sun's heat in the atm. but doesn't block the heat coming in from the sun?

On the first point, WOW!!! I thought the US was a country of low taxation, maybe I was wrong. I pay around 21% in total. Seems your taxes are way too high.

2nd point, okay so your 40% of taxes - do you honestly believe it is exclusively spent on studies into the climate and developing renewable energy. If so you are incredibly naive.

As for the CO2 question, if you really don't know the answer to this then you shouldn't be trying to debate climate issues. The first step would be to do some research first and educate yourself.

My daughter studied this in science this term at junior high school (13 years old).

I see no further point in discussing this topic with a person who is clearly uninformed.

On the first point, WOW!!! I thought the US was a country of low taxation, maybe I was wrong. I pay around 21% in total.

2nd point, okay so your 40% of taxes - do you honestly believe it is exclusively spent on studies into the climate and developing renewable energy. If so you are incredibly naive.

As for the CO2 question, if you really don't know the answer to this then upi really shouldn't be trying to debate climate issues. The first step would be to do some research first and educate yourself.

My daughter studied this in science this term at junior high school (13 years old).

Can someone explain how CO2 traps the sun's heat in the atm. but doesn't block the heat coming in from the sun?

Call your daughter see if she can answer this question. So far no takers.

Because nobody can believe that any adult doesn't know this and it is obviously a wind-up

Look, you obviously know how to use a computer and the internet so why not do a search. Here is something that should be at a level you can understand.

Climate Kids: What is the greenhouse effect?

Once you get the basics, try this

The Greenhouse Effect

Different wave lenghts would have sufficed without the insult. That's the second time in this thread you've personally insulted me. I'm done with you.

On the first point, WOW!!! I thought the US was a country of low taxation, maybe I was wrong. I pay around 21% in total. Seems your taxes are way too high.

In the United States: (Federal Income Tax)
The Top 1% of earners pay @40% of all taxes

The Top 5% of earners pay @60% of all taxes.
The bottom 50% of earners only pay @3% of all taxes.

"Taxes" in the US usually is referring to Federal Income tax, but we also pay a state income tax. Then there are the use taxes on many things we buy, such as on gasoline which has about 15% of it's price is taxes. Then we have sales tax which is collected on almost every consumer item you buy, such as a car, where you might pay anywhere from 1-14% in taxes, depends on where you live. Then we have taxes that are classified as fees instead of taxes. Instead of passing a tax, politicians pass a fee, such as to renew your driver's license you might pay a $5.00 fee which goes to the local tax coffers, we also have payroll taxes to pay for our social security and so on...

The real tax burden on a US citizen is closer to 52% of their income when you take into account all the taxes and fees on what a person purchases with their money.

We don't want to spend any money of our tax dollars on global warming, we can't afford to, we are 16 trillion in debt and counting. We just hit a milestone for the first time our debt is now equal to our total economy.

As for the CO2 question, if you really don't know the answer to this then you shouldn't be trying to debate climate issues. The first step would be to do some research first and educate yourself.

Some of us don't implicitly just believe everything we are told. There are still some people in our country who question what is obviously incorrect.

In the US in high school and college, subjects that have political attachments are basically taught as indoctrination instead of as unbiased education, so some of us smell a rat quickly on certain subjects.

It's rather simple. First, CO2 does not trap sun's heat as you stated. Were you trying to twist facts to suit yourself, or really do not know? Like in a greenhouse, hence the name, the sun's light passes thru the atmosphere - mostly, as some of it is deflected and turn to heat there, but most of it absorbed by the earth, structures, plants, water, animals, all things on it which turn the light to heat - then trapped after the conversion. At least to the extent that less heat escapes than the amount of light energy that arrives.

Or read Archie's link for more details.

It's rather simple. First, CO2 does not trap sun's heat as you stated. Were you trying to twist facts to suit yourself, or really do not know? Like in a greenhouse, hence the name, the sun's light passes thru the atmosphere - mostly, as some of it is deflected and turn to heat there, but most of it absorbed by the earth, structures, plants, water, animals, all things on it which turn the light to heat - then trapped after the conversion. At least to the extent that less heat escapes than the amount of light energy that arrives.

Or read Archie's link for more details.

The greenhouse effect refers to circumstances where the short wavelengths of visible light from the sun pass through a transparent medium and are absorbed, but the longer
wavelengths of the infrared re-radiation from the
heated objects are unable to pass through that
medium. The trapping of the long wavelength radiation leads to more heating and
a higher resultant temperature. Besides the heating of an automobile by sunlight
through the windshield and the namesake example of heating the greenhouse by
sunlight passing through sealed, transparent windows, the greenhouse effect has
been widely used to describe the trapping of excess heat by the rising
concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. The carbon
dioxide strongly absorbs infrared and does not allow as much of it to escape
into space.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom