Climate Change Pays a Visit to the Caribbean and Coral Reefs Suffer? Do you believe t

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverG

Reached My 2nd Goal!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Article that I found on Yahoo news. Who believes this to be true? Seems to be a little bit sensationalized to me.

"Caribbean coral reefs–which
make up one of the world's most colorful, vivid and productive ecosystems—are on
the verge of collapse, with less than 10% of the reef area showing live coral
cover,” reports The Guardian.
“With so little growth left, the reefs are
in danger of utter devastation unless urgent action is taken, conservationists
warned. They said the drastic loss was the result of severe environmental
problems, including over-exploitation, pollution from agricultural run-off and
other sources, and climate change.”

More at this link. Climate Change Pays a Visit to the Caribbean and Coral Reefs Suffer - Yahoo! News

Much of what you read in the press is crap.

Also note that "climate change" is a lie meant to hobble the US economy. People who know some facts know that the Earth's climate changes. Go back 10000 years or so ago and there was reportedly a lot of ice around North America. I suspect that people then were checking CNN for new of global warming.

If there are practices than can be modified to reduce unintended adverse effects elsewhere then those should be explored.

I just am skeptical based upon too many scares in the past that turned out to be wrong.

Ron, I kinda of agree with you. While the reefs may not be as healthy as they once were, I do not think it is this bad.

I think it is so cute when these PHD's are going to save the whole world ! The world climate is just like the local weather, it is going to change. Texas was once under water the Blue Hole was above water so they say. I never know which liar is telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

"note that "climate change" is a lie meant to hobble the US economy" has got to be one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard in my life. Whether one believes in science and research or not, stating that scientists knowingly lie for the express purpose of damaging the economy is a completely outrageous thing to say.

I believe it would have been better to say "There is some opposition the idea of climate change in scientific community" and "some people seem to use the idea of a climate change to achieve other political objectives."

I am sure that is what Ron meant....

Isn't it true nature is generally more resilient than we give credit? Like the Coz reefs post Wilma?

"note that "climate change" is a lie meant to hobble the US economy" has got to be one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard in my life.
Thank you; you read my mind. Whether you believe current climatological research or not, is it truly a stretch to say that observed changes in the measured composition of the various components of gas in the atmosophere, just might have an effect on global climate? So much of a stretch that to make such a suggestion must require nefarious intent to damage the economy?

And this from active divers? Who better to have observed first hand and vouch for the cumulative effect that human activities have had on planet-wide environments? Are oceanographers who point out observed changes in 02 content, temperature and ph over vast areas and suggest that this could cause changes to the balance of life in the oceans also lying because they want to damage the oil industry, or agriculture, or just for kicks destroy the global economy and cause a world-wide recession?

At the same time, I agree that the subject article is more than a bit alarmist, and does not appear to be supported by my own very limited experience on the reefs.

Finally, this topic does not seem to be Cozumel specific in any way, and might be better addressed in a different, more general forum.

The irony is that many US environmental regulations are created with the sole intention of sheilding the US economy from competition from China...

That said, I do take anything that I read in The Guardian with a serious grain of salt. By far the most left wing of all the left wing newspapers in the UK.
I am perfectly willing to accept that Caribbean reefs are in peril, but I'd really like to read an independent report rather than from a pressure group calling itself "Climate Change".

Reactions: Jax
IMO, few climate scientists (and very few journalists) have a holistic understanding of the complex bio-sphere we see everyday, especially as divers. Where there is a niche, some plant or critter will adapt to fill the void. What part of our planet does not have life adapted to it? the Antarctic? volcanic vents 6 miles deep in the Marinas trench? Mt. Everest? its everywhere; even Bikini has a thriving healthy underwater environment after two nuclear blasts.

If corals are dying off due to warm waters, then they will exploit that opportunity and colonize once colder, now warmer waters further away from the equator. They did not start out where they are now, they have continually migrated to suitable habitats over eons. Their opportunistic spawning process make it a certainty that they will find new habitats.

The Earth is not a static model. Look on the bright side wouldn't you love to dive coral reefs without having to travel to the equator?:D

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom