Clearing Allergies Congestion before Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limirl

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am hoping to do a liveaboard next april to the Similan Islands in Thailand. Typically April is the worst month for my allergies with congestion and blocked sinuses. When I go abroad to a dry hot climate my allergies always clear up. Is there a way to speed up the process before I leave (typically allergy pills do nothing for me) or how many days should I wait out before commencing diving ? I do have quite a bit of trouble equalizing even at the best of times and my descents are usually very slow to avoid problems.

Anybody else out there experienced similar problems ?

Thanks.

There really isn't any way to speed up the process of your allergies clearing up. Provided you have no contraindications, you might try a sinus rinse once you arrive in Thailand. Other than that, you'll just have to keep a close eye on yourself. Nasal sprays like oxymetazoline can help some people but they can also have a significant rebound effect if used on consecutive days. Stay ahead of your descent, i.e. continue to actively equalize your ears on descent even if it doesn't feel like you have to. If you wait to clear until you feel a buildup of pressure, your Eustachian tubes may have already collapsed, making it more difficulty to equalize. Remember not to force a valsalva maneuver. Good luck, and enjoy your trip!

If you are not using nasal steroids, you might give them a trial.

I have seasonal allergies, and only get minimal relief from allergy pills as well. I use a nasal steroid spray beginning a few days before dive trips and get excellent relief. These take more time for effect than oxymetazoline (eg Afrin) and have their own side effects (I get a bit of a sore throat, pretty common) but are worth looking into. You can also ask your doctor if you may have vasomotor rhinitis, which is a common mimic of seasonal allergies, and getting some attention these days.

a six day course of methylprednisone helped me immensely on my last liveaboard trip.
I started taking it 2 days before I started diving.
It was prescibed by my ENT.

JPB

Back
Top Bottom