Clear Springs attractions, mythical coffin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't found the coffin yet...but the alligator is a hoot when you find it during algae bloom season and you nearly run into it with two foot vis!

Indeed! that's how we found it! We were slowly navigating along and I stopped, thought it was a strangely shaped rock.....and it was Gary the Gator.....

5-8-09_0009.jpg

you can see how "good" the viz is.....

OK, here goes. I have some photo's of the coffin as well, but since others have shared them, I won't post mine. The last time I dove CSSP, the coffin was still where it has been for the last several years, so no one has moved it recently.

If you start at the dock that has the floating platform attached to it and you are facing the lake, off to the left a bit there are a double set of platforms (they have surface markers attached) from those platforms if you head off the back side towards the deeper water and swim about 40', there will be a rock ridge just prior to the drop off. If you follow the rock ridge into the deeper water (i.e. left, towards the plane end of the lake), the coffin will be at the end of the ridge in about 40' of water.

Sorry, I don't have any compass headings, but the coffin is easy enough to find when you know where to look.

Randy

Have heard people say they didn't know a gator was in the pond, and when they came upon it by accident, they just about crapped their pants !

Indeed! that's how we found it! We were slowly navigating along and I stopped, thought it was a strangely shaped rock.....and it was Gary the Gator.....

5-8-09_0009.jpg

you can see how "good" the viz is.....

Yes, I've seen the tire. What does it fit, anyway? I'm thinking some kind of tractor.

you don't need to move the coffin when it can't be located anyway...and on the other end of the pond, have you seen the super sidewall...tire?

We normally inhabit the Rescue Dock/Plane area and/or those 2 mid channel platforms so our tours are always in the north end of the lake. We see the coffin alot.

Once we had a group of OW students doing the tour....one of the students was a Jr OW diver, a young boy. When we surfaced, he commented on how cold the water was down by the coffin, and asked why the water was so cold down there. I told him "It was the icy grip of Death's cold hand"....the look of horror on his face was priceless.

you don't need to move the coffin when it can't be located anyway...and on the other end of the pond, have you seen the super sidewall...tire?

Yes, I've seen the tire. What does it fit, anyway? I'm thinking some kind of tractor.

A big tractor tire too!!?? Holy smokes! I had not even heard of this?! CSSP is a great place to dive, my suggestions....

-i wish the boats (at least one of them) were on its side to make it look more like a wreck

-an Abrams tank

-a caterpillar crane loader or bulldozer

-in memory of landing on the moon, a replica Apollo capsule

We normally inhabit the Rescue Dock/Plane area and/or those 2 mid channel platforms so our tours are always in the north end of the lake. We see the coffin alot.

Once we had a group of OW students doing the tour....one of the students was a Jr OW diver, a young boy. When we surfaced, he commented on how cold the water was down by the coffin, and asked why the water was so cold down there. I told him "It was the icy grip of Death's cold hand"....the look of horror on his face was priceless.

That's just WRONG!

TxIceDiver has got it pretty well nailed.

If you start at the double platforms & head 90* until you get to the ravine, just follow the boulders North & you'll be there.

The elusive gator is another story altogether. I've seen him (her), but I must have made a bad impression, because it's always pure hit & miss - usually miss.

The super sidewall tire may be from a skidloader or a backhoe.

The alligator is very well defined. Just ask the right person and the gator is there. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom