Cleaning tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reti1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I need other opinion abouth how is made in other country .I clean inside the tank with machine ..a tumbler. Is a old fashion technic..I put inside a ceramic media,,let work 20 minutes and after ,,,wash with hot water ,and after with alchool ..and dry with Nitrogen .You dear diver how you proced?

Take it to someone who actually knows what they are doing..Do not use alcohol. You may be sterilizing it against bacteria but not getting out hydrocarbons that way. You may actually be adding hydrocarbon with the alcohol.

Tumbling is commonly accepted, no problem. Sometimes a whip can be quicker.

I agree that the alcohol step just muddied the water(no pun intended) but even that may have been largely water. If it's going to be used for regular air service you just want to know all alcohol has dissipated. If in doubt repeat the water rinse & dry. Install the valve and add a holding pressure with a transfill whip if able. Otherwise get it to a VIP provider ASAP for a final verdict.

If you plan to use it for any elevated oxygen mixes then you need to have it cleaned with that in mind.

Pete

First do a quick rinse with hot water to remove the majority of grit. Use Blue Gold, or the clear Simple Green mixed with hot water to remove the remaining grit and break down any hydrocarbons, then dry. It is a pretty simple procedure. Make darn sure the valve is clean with the proper o-rings installed, if you plan to use pure oxygen thru it.

Some people just want to pay others for something they could easily learn to do themselves. I say do it yourself!

Take it to someone certified to do it, the alcohol can be bad.

I do not know the procedure for tumbling a tank but if you are going to use alcohol you want 190 proof alcohol not rubbing alcohol. The 190 proof has far less moisture.

I do this job for more than 15 year ...I want to now if in your country is a same metod to clean inside the tank.
May be ultra sound .......I ask only and if is some body at our diver comunity do in other way please post here to share the experience or the technique.
Have a nice day!

In the U.S. people tumble steel tanks all the time, usually it's for longer than 20 minutes, and the rinse is just hot water followed by lots of air to completely dry the inside. No alcohol. I have heard of chemical rust inhibitors but I personally would never do anything like that to my tanks.

As some people have said, if you are using the tank for high percentage of oxygen you need to completely remove any trace of hydrocarbons. This means that the valve has to be carefully cleaned and assembled with special lubricants and o-rings.

I have always had good luck with hot water and tide laundry detergent.... The other cleaner that works good with little filming is electric dish wash detergent with very hot water.. Of course in the USA we have a cleaner called "simple green" that works very well ... Always triple rinse and blowing air in to dry it... Then a few minutes with a heat gun to blow in and really dry it, If your crazy about it... :wink:

Jim...

I have here a corespondet from your Simple Green, ..., the time is in technician hand ....more or less to tumble ...in the end you need to have a clean tank.
Thanks a lot for replay.

Back
Top Bottom