Cleaning Spare-Air Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 19 cuft is almost exactly twice the weight and size as a spare air (without regs) and has over six times the air!!

Hallmac:
nope not misinformed I have been clearly informed.
at our shop. Al must have eddy or no fill.

You have to remember there is no Law requiring a VIP yearly. everybody just got together and decided it was a good ideal.

I fully understand that.....but the blank statement that you have to do an Eddy Current test to pass a VIP is just not true,,,,your shop may have that policy..I understand that also...but many shops and inspectors don't use the testing method for multiple reasons. The simple fact is a VIP can be given without an Eddy Current on Al cylinders.

Please let us know which KS area scuba shop that is so if in the area and need a fill we can avoid the wasted stop.

Back on the topic....the product Spare Air is really a joke and in no way should be taken as a serious redundant air source!

NorthWoodsDiver:
My 19 cuft is almost exactly twice the weight and size as a spare air (without regs) and has over six times the air!!

Wow only twice the weight before you add the regulator that weighs as much as or more than the spare air again. Now I might consider something like the H2O Odyssey Extra Air System when they come out with a more compact model and at a better price, as it is their 6 cft model is more than twice the street price on a 3 cft spare air.

Ike

Hallmac:
3.0 cf aluminum Luxfer. (Dot-3AL-3000).
requires hydro every five years and if filled at dive shop will require visual and eddy current testing just like a "REAL" cylinder.

Just to set the record straight all current (made in the last 15 years) Spare Air's legally require 5 year hydro and industry standard VIP apply, in reality this often does not get done since most Spare Airs are refilled from divers tanks and not shop compressors. Only the old 1800 PSI Spare Airs with the big red on/off knob were hydro exempt.

Ike

texdiveguy:
I fully understand that.....but the blank statement that you have to do an Eddy Current test to pass a VIP is just not true,,,,your shop may have that policy..I understand that also...but many shops and inspectors don't use the testing method for multiple reasons. The simple fact is a VIP can be given without an Eddy Current on Al cylinders.

Please let us know which KS area scuba shop that is so if in the area and need a fill we can avoid the wasted stop.

Back on the topic....the product Spare Air is really a joke and in no way should be taken as a serious redundant air source!

oh your killing me!!!!!! :rofl3:
I'm in Missouri, bye the way, would not want to have to worry about you getting lost and stopping in by mistake. I am sorry you were offended by something you read into my post. Please feel free post your corrections anytime you feel the need.

Hallmac:
oh your killing me!!!!!! :rofl3:
I'm in Missouri, bye the way, would not want to have to worry about you getting lost and stopping in by mistake. I am sorry you were offended by something you read into my post. Please feel free post your corrections anytime you feel the need.

Just did not want misleading info. such as the statement about the Eddy Current test being taken as 'fact' by divers not knowing......happens way to often here on SB.. Happy and safe diving to you always!!! :D

An eddy test? Please, get your facts straight before you post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom