Cleaning My Overboard Relief Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FireInMyBones

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Reading my OMS pee valve cleaning instructions, I notice that a mixture of Listerine and Dawn can be used. Not sure what mixture to use.

What does everyone clean their Pee valve with?

What method do you find most useful?

I flush with flush with plenty of water and then an alcohol/vinegar mixture. I realize the contact time is not enough to really kill off everything when I just flush with that mixture, but I figure it can't hurt.

Henrik

I use alcohol. Vinegar is not useful as a disinfectant. Irrigating copiously with water before washing with alcohol is probably useful, on the surgical theory that the solution to pollution is dilution :)

I use mouthwash. Not sure the purpose of the Dawn recommendation. Soap doesn't really kill anything - kinda like vinegar - and hopefully there's not too much fat in your urine.

I have a little squeeze bottle that I keep in the crate that holds my suit. Every time I take it off, it gets a copious squirt.

Hunter

Vinegar is not useful as a disinfectant

I was thinking in terms of changing pH value to inhibit growth. But yes, thorough flushing with water would clearly be #1.

Henrik

you are correct about the vinegar changing the ph, this would be best used before storing your suit. as it makes an enviroment that bacteria cant grow very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom