Cleaning Atomic Clearview Frameless Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I contacted Atomic about cleaning my new subframe and was told using toothpaste would be fine. It fogged after I cleaned it and I had to do it several more times before it stayed clear. Don't know why it took the extra effort but it wasn't a big deal. The mask is pretty nice but I haven't come to a conclusion yet about advantages of the new glass.
Rex

My dive buddy and I bought each other Atomic Frameless masks for Christmas. I toothpasted my and she did nothing to hers. We both used plain old defogger goo.

The results? neither one of us fogged up.

wjknobles:
Masks are shipped with a silicon coating to protect the lens. Toothpaste works great, just make sure it is not a "whitening" toothpaste, too much of those can damage the mask.

The coating on the lens is release agent residue from the molding process. Some masks seem to have more residue left on them than others. From what I've heard, the Atomics generally come with more residual release agent left on them than others, which means they require more scrubbing so they won't fog.

Toothpaste will work well on all lenses, EXCEPT the Atomics with the ARC (anti reflective coating) on them. The ARC coating is a microscopic layer of metal oxide that can be damaged by abrasives like toothpaste. According to another post here on SB from someone at Atomic, the ARC masks come cleaned from the factory and should not be scrubbed with toothpaste.

The other thing is to make sure you are using tooth paste and not Gel. Gel is not abrasive enough. My problem was not fogging but getting those self stick lenses to adhere.

here is the best way guys!! Use Arm and Hammer baking soda toothpaste and an electric toothbrush.Or plan baking soda and a little bit of water to make a paste.
Works great!!

Actually, the ARC mask comes with an urgent warning not to use abrasives. We still had to use toothpaste (and lots of it). My husband thought he'd never get the thing to quit fogging.

-K

aquachick:
Actually, the ARC mask comes with an urgent warning not to use abrasives. We still had to use toothpaste (and lots of it). My husband thought he'd never get the thing to quit fogging.

-K

Actually, toothpaste is an abrasive. Even gels and liquid gel toothpastes contain abrasives (usually mica) and can damage the coating on the ARC lens.

LG Diver:
Actually, toothpaste is an abrasive. Even gels and liquid gel toothpastes contain abrasives (usually mica) and can damage the coating on the ARC lens.

The problem with lens coatings (at least in camera optics) is that they are easily scratched. I don't know how durable ARC coating are, but my guess is that even mild abrasives could damage the coating.

It would be interesting to hear from a diver who is using ARC technology on how durable it is, and also their impression on if it improves anything. The concept is nothing new in the optical world as most high end optics are multi-coated. However these are generally used topside, and often in bright sunlight that is not been filtered by stuff like say..... water!

I just bought one off of ebay and it has a small strange scratch I can't figure out.
It looks like there is perhaps a coating on the lense that is actually scratched and not the lense itself. Looks like a silver mark on it. I've already tried scrubbing with toothpaste with no luck.
Trying on the mask it doesn't seem like it will effect my enjoyment of the mask while diving, it's just annoying knowing it's there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom