Cleaning Atomic Clearview Frameless Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has it ever occurred to mask manufacturers to take care of this problem before the pricey mask leaves the factory?

It is an annoying and predictable problem.

I have dived an ARC mask, and we are an Atomic dealer - have always used toothpaste and nothing else to clean the lens - in fact, it says that toothpaste is acceptable on the tag that comes with the mask... The ARC coating is extremely durable and will last many many years of regular use...

I never ever use defog, instead, I use toothpaste twice upon opening a new Atomic mask, and then once a week... I spit and scrub right before submerging, and I NEVER have had an Atomic mask fog up on me (except when it was brand new and I hadn't scrubbed it twice yet)...

I would never use softscrub on any mask - that stuff is like sandpaper and although may be very easy to clean a mask, I feel like it probably leaves tiny micro scratches in the glass...

PS - I use toothpaste on both the inside and the outside of the lenses on the Atomics - if I don't I can see where the warning sticker came off (out of the water), and also tiny bubbles will stick to the mask lens...

BTW .. the ARC coating is not because of bright sun, it's not a tint ... It's to increase light transmission through the glass, every air/glass interface can cost 4% less light getting through = 4% darker view out when talking about a lens that only has one air/glass interface like a mask. ... coupling that coating to a more transparent glass that transmits more light (is clearer) would have even more difference
can you tell the difference? , you should be able to
.. I know I can with my eye glasses, I have two identical pair and everything is brighter through the pair with the coating

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom