Cleaning Atomic Clearview Frameless Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
Hi Justin,

Just FYI, after manufacture there is generally a layer of residue left on the glass that can promote fogging. The traditional method of removing said offensive material has been toothpaste, or one of the products dive shops sell. I've always had good results with toothpaste.

The Atomic seemed *clean* vs. other masks I've purchased, but I went ahead and used toothpaste. I think all will be well.

I would have to agree with this. I have tried to use the soft self attaching reading lenses in mine, and have had 3 pair fail to adhere to the glass regardless of the surface prep or care in application. The glass just seems much smoother.

I love the fit and feel, no leaks and very comfortable.

Masks are shipped with a silicon coating to protect the lens. Toothpaste works great, just make sure it is not a "whitening" toothpaste, too much of those can damage the mask.

merxlin:
I would have to agree with this. I have tried to use the soft self attaching reading lenses in mine, and have had 3 pair fail to adhere to the glass regardless of the surface prep or care in application. The glass just seems much smoother.

I love the fit and feel, no leaks and very comfortable.

I will be trying to attach said diopters on my Clearview lens mask. They shipped today, so likely I won't get them on before the weekend diving.

I have found using distilled water for the application seems to work best. I'm on well water, and it has a lot of minerals in it even if it's wonderful water for drinking! :D

RonFrank:
I will be trying to attach said diopters on my Clearview lens mask. They shipped today, so likely I won't get them on before the weekend diving.

I have found using distilled water for the application seems to work best. I'm on well water, and it has a lot of minerals in it even if it's wonderful water for drinking! :D

Man, I have tried everything: cleaning with toothpaste, cleaning with baking soda, warm water, cool water, concave in, concave out, alcohol after cleaning then rinsing & drying. The mask has about 30 dives on it so has been cleaned a lot. My next step was going to be a very light coat of clear silicone, then press as much out as I could.

i have the same mask and LOVE it... but i definitely did my share of scrubbing to get it to a point where it won't fog...
now i have a 2 step process of defog i go thru just in case... i probably have about 30+ dives in it and its just now to a point where i may be okay with just a 1-step preventative fogging process :)

I have both Atomic Med. Fit Frameless and Mares Liquidskin. My Liquidskin came clean the first couple of times I toothpasted it. Everyone I know who has an Atomic mask has trouble getting it clean. Sea Buff works great and so does toothpaste. Diligence is the best tool, however. I am a diehard 500 PSI fan, but I notice that the Atomic masks respond very well to Sea Gold.

-K

funny...I used my frameless for the first time on Sunday, didn't clean it at all, used Spit by Jaws on it, never fogged up once...

Toothpaste worked great for me... and minty fresh.

aquachick:
I am a diehard 500 PSI fan, but I notice that the Atomic masks respond very well to Sea Gold.

-K

I hate that 500PSI stuff! It works great, but it leaves a buildup all over the inside of the mask. You gotta take a toothpick or something to scrape it out! :D

I'll trade you two mostly full bottles of 500PSI for some Sea Gold! I REALLY like SeaGold, but I don't follow the directions. I put it on well before the dive, let it dry hard, and then wash it out once I get in.

I've discovered baby shampoo and water works well also. I've used spit without problem. I think it kinda depends on where one is diving. In warm water I rarely have issues with fogging.

Back
Top Bottom