Cleaning and prep of your new scuba diving mask... Defog secret recipe.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you saying there's no glue in there between the silicone and the glass in a mask? So, nothing that could be adversely affected by heat (e.g. an open flame)?

I wouldn't be surprised of it... and if there's any adhesive paste it won't be on the border, but in the inner angle, so yes there's nothing it could be touched by the open flame around the border for most masks, except the silicon/rubber itself.

Yeah, but how about the glue that holds it all together?

You done flame the silicone frame, which perhaps glued the tempered glass lens to the silicone skirt. Just go as close to the edge as you can. The flaming process is visible. As the heat is applied on the tempered glass lens, the clear lens turns to foggy and clear when the silicone vaporized. You can actually see the progression of the "foggy" to clear surface spreading. Then you move the flame towards the edge and stop to about 1/8" from the edge. Leave the "foggy" 1/8" edge as is. Once the clear coat turns to foggy coat, you are basically done in breaking down the thin clear silicone "glue" to dust. You can easily wipe the foggy dust off with tissue paper. Again, you don't flame the silicone skirt. If you stay on the center too long after the "foggy" phase turns to clear, the vaporized silicone soot may deposit on the tempered glass as black carbon dust, which also can be wiped clean with tissue paper.

I did it on my own 2 brand new mask ($150 each) myself. They haven't leak for 3 years (150 dives) that I've been using them and I have enjoyed those 150 dives with clear view masks. :D

Here is another video that explains the flaming procedure better:

Last edited:
You done flame the silicone frame, which perhaps glued the tempered glass lens to the silicone skirt. Just go as close to the edge as you can. The flaming process is visible. As the heat is applied on the tempered glass lens, the clear lens turns to foggy and clear when the silicone vaporized. You can actually see the progression of the "foggy" to clear surface spreading. Then you move the flame towards the edge and stop to about 1/8" from the edge. Leave the "foggy" 1/8" edge as is. You can easily wipe it off with tissue paper. Again, you don't flame the silicone skirt. If you stay on the center too long after the "foggy" phase turns to clear, the vaporized silicone soot may deposit on the tempered glass as black carbon dust, which also can be wiped clean with tissue paper.

I understand the process. I just have never needed to do that to keep a mask from fogging and the idea that heat could affect the glue that (I assume) holds the mask together has always left me feeling just as glad that I have been able to avoid any need to do it that way.

I just clean the entire mask (lens and skirt) really, really well with something like Dawn dishwashing detergent. Then used diluted baby shampoo as anti-fog. I don't have any problems with fogging on any of the 3 masks I've done this way.

I used toothpaste on mine but on learning about the flame treatment, I tried it and lo and behold, there was still a film that burned off. doh

I used toothpaste on mine but on learning about the flame treatment, I tried it and lo and behold, there was still a film that burned off. doh

Yes the burning technique is pretty unique and is probably not required to be done frequently. Maybe initially or maybe a couple times later.

After the film is removed, it is critical to keep the glass clean. Here's a few tips we put together. We have had no problems with the flame method on our masks.

I'm not really sure if glue is used in the masks or if it is a press in fit, but my guess is that no glue is used.

I threw mine on the grill for several minutes, and then dunked it in muriatic acid. Leave it in the acid for about a day. Then rinse in pure spring water, not the cheap stuff, I use Evian. I've had no issue with fogging at all!

I threw mine on the grill for several minutes, and then dunked it in muriatic acid. Leave it in the acid for about a day. Then rinse in pure spring water, not the cheap stuff, I use Evian. I've had no issue with fogging at all!
Gas grill or charcoal?

Gas grill or charcoal?
I don't mean to sound harsh, but obviously hardwood lump. I use a Big Green Egg so I can get up to around 800º.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom