Cleaning and prep of your new scuba diving mask... Defog secret recipe.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this for real? Cringe-worthy at the very least. You definitely do not want bleach/hypochlorite on your defog. Might be dangerous. I think the video should have a disclaimer at the beginning.

I suspect you'll take a lot of flack in the youtube comments for putting a drill powered wire brush inside a mask. Most dive shops wouldn't touch this method on a bet. Can you imagine the number of masks coming back into the shop with skirts torn to heck from the wire bristles? Until I see the video where you take the drill to the mask, I'll still be a fan of the lighter or toothpaste methods. Simpler and easier to control. As you are a dive professional who will want to protect their reputation, my main advice would be make sure you are comfortable that your customer base is competent to run a power drill inside their mask.

The lighter method has always worked well for me. Some sellers are specifically warning about using the lighter technique (Dive Gear Express is one)...I don’t think they would warrant a wire brush on a drill either. I have used soft scrub with Mr Clean Magic Eraser...even dish soap with the Magic Eraser works.

I just wish I heard about the burning method 12 years ago, when I started diving. I just used toothpaste & tooth brush a couple times and Sea Gold before each dives. I think it took me 100 dives (2 years) to strip off that silicone coat. Then I lost the mask by putting MOF & forgot that I had it on my forehead when I jumped in to the water to pee during surface interval in a 2-tank boat dive in Mnemba Atoll, Zanzibar. One lucky diver probably found the nicely broken-in $150 mask there sitting in 80 feet deep coral bottom. Live & learn. :D

Last edited:
If you happen to be in the tropics, extremely fine coral powder sand, moistened and rubbed against the glass with a finger will do the trick quickly and simply and not hurt the glass in any way.

I would avoid power tools.and wire brushes. We've made our own video on mask prep which can be found on our site under masks.

I don't know... fire and silicone rubber seem precarious. I think the power drill and water are safer.
well, these days a lot of heat resistant stuff (for oven and bbq) is made from silicone so..

well, these days a lot of heat resistant stuff (for oven and bbq) is made from silicone so..

Yeah, but how about the glue that holds it all together?

It's called "pressure".

Are you saying there's no glue in there between the silicone and the glass in a mask? So, nothing that could be adversely affected by heat (e.g. an open flame)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom