Cleaning and prep of your new scuba diving mask... Defog secret recipe.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just take the glass out and dive without it.

I've never had a fogging issue.

Hey Tridacna,

With well over 1,000 dives, you are uniquely qualified to provide expert analysis on probably every subject relating to diving. You are obviously a gifted diver and very knowledgeable. I don’t think anyone would doubt that.

You clearly have amazing appreciation for the ocean, and the fortune to experience things that most people will never experience.

However, I don’t understand why someone with your experience and expertise and such an amazing appreciation for all things good, would express such hostility towards me the way you did.

The content in my video is based on what I was taught by experts such as yourself, as well as my own experiences. If you disagree, I welcome your valuable input.

I just think you could have done it in a different way.

Dive safe,
dano

Hey Tridacna,

With well over 1,000 dives, you are uniquely qualified to provide expert analysis on probably every subject relating to diving. You are obviously a gifted diver and very knowledgeable. I don’t think anyone would doubt that.

You clearly have amazing appreciation for the ocean, and the fortune to experience things that most people will never experience.

However, I don’t understand why someone with your experience and expertise and such an amazing appreciation for all things good, would express such hostility towards me the way you did.

The content in my video is based on what I was taught by experts such as yourself, as well as my own experiences. If you disagree, I welcome your valuable input.

I just think you could have done it in a different way.

Dive safe,
dano

Dano,

You are promulgating fake news with your video. I’ve taken issue with this before. Despite my pointing it out to you previously, and your acknowledgement thereof, you persist on posting this pseudo-scientific claptrap. I rely on my university physics education for reference not the number of my dives.

Cleaning a mask with toothpaste by applying it and waiting for it to dry then expecting a chemical reaction of some kind has no basis in reality and is more likely to hinder than help divers.

As long as you continue to post what is essentially bs advice, I will continue to point it out. I am astounded that someone like you who has an outstanding business and is otherwise such a thoughtful contributor continues to post this nonsensical advice.

Either change the video or stop posting it as “helpful advice”.

Dano,

You are promulgating fake news with your video. I’ve taken issue with this before. Despite my pointing it out to you previously, and your acknowledgement thereof, you persist on posting this pseudo-scientific claptrap. I rely on my university physics education for reference not the number of my dives.

Cleaning a mask with toothpaste by applying it and waiting for it to dry then expecting a chemical reaction of some kind has no basis in reality and is more likely to hinder than help divers.

As long as you continue to post what is essentially bs advice, I will continue to point it out. I am astounded that someone like you who has an outstanding business and is otherwise such a thoughtful contributor continues to post this nonsensical advice.

Either change the video or stop posting it as “helpful advice”.

Hey Tridacna,

I think we both agree that using toothpaste is a good way to prevent fogging. That is why so many divers use toothpaste instead of something else.

Where we disagree, is whether vigorous rubbing is needed or not.

In my experience, no rubbing is needed. In your experience, rubbing is needed.

In either case, there must be something in the toothpaste that reacts with the silicone coating on the glass.

Perhaps I can include in my postings that there are highly qualified individuals who feel strongly that rubbing is needed.

Dive safe,
dano

Dano,

You’re confusing physics and chemistry. I totally reject the reaction hypothesis. Inert chemicals do not react when placed in contact with each other. This is simply untrue.

Too expensive to fix the video? I understand fully.

No problem.

Safe diving,

Tri

Many years ago a woman in the Bahamas showed me that if you pick a fresh green leaf off a plant, almost any kind of leaf will work, and rub it against the inside of your mask lens it works great to prevent fogging. I know it sounds crazy but it works. I try to do it just before I go in the water so I don't know how long it lasts if you do it too far ahead of time. Has anyone else ever heard that one?

Many years ago a woman in the Bahamas showed me that if you pick a fresh green leaf off a plant, almost any kind of leaf will work, and rub it against the inside of your mask lens it works great to prevent fogging. I know it sounds crazy but it works. I try to do it just before I go in the water so I don't know how long it lasts if you do it too far ahead of time. Has anyone else ever heard that one?
Have heard that about dried tobacco - just find a cigarette butt lying around.

Will have to try the burn method. Have seen abrasive toothpaste work on some masks, but not on one other (not the same pReplyroduct each time, might have been using an inert example, lacking in the components critical for some key chemical reaction). After several attempts with toothpaste, I took to a Mares mask briefly with some red jeweler's rouge and a Dremel with a polishing felt. That mask has now seen hundreds of dives and rarely fogs, which is otherwise something that plagues me typically.

Mostly I wanted to commend Mako for admirable forbearance in not further provoking more of the astonishingly aggressive and technically dubious assault on his otherwise seemingly (and typical) yeoman attempt to contribute something useful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom