Cleaning a mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a new Atomic Aquatics Frameless 2 mask a few months ago and it worked great for my first dozen or so dives, with some baby shampoo, no troubles at all.

We have been using toothpaste on our Atomic masks for a decade. I always clean my mask with toothpaste before dives, and I live the toothpaste on the mask when storing for longer then 2 weeks.

Side note, are you breathing out your nose? I have seen a lost of divers, even myself long ago, do this.

I use a lighter on a new mask. After that I put it in the top tray of my dishwasher every now and again.

We have been using toothpaste on our Atomic masks for a decade. I always clean my mask with toothpaste before dives, and I live the toothpaste on the mask when storing for longer then 2 weeks.

Side note, are you breathing out your nose? I have seen a lost of divers, even myself long ago, do this.

I breathe through my mouth so that's not a huge issue. I will try the toothpaste trick, it just seems strange that it needs to be repeated over time if it's truly just removing residue from the manufacturing process...

It doesn't need to be repeated over time, just do it a couple of times before you use it for the first time when the mask is new. Really scrub it with a toothbrush, you won't hurt it. Make sure you are putting what ever defog you use on the mask while it is dry and rub it in. If you aren't using it right away, fill the mask with water or the defog will dry out and you will have to start over.

Most masks have a glass lens. The scrubbing and toothpaste is good for them. Some masks (especially prescription) come with carbonate lenses. Scrubbing will destroy them. Your Atomic Mask has glass and a good scrubbing should work. Just adding this comment in so someone won't scrub away without checking as to what material they have for the mask lenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom