Cleaning a mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NTJB

Registered
Reaction score
I bought a new Atomic Aquatics Frameless 2 mask a few months ago and it worked great for my first dozen or so dives, with some baby shampoo, no troubles at all.

More recently, the mask has been fogging on me despite using the same baby shampoo/spit methods. I have read and been told that there is some sort of silicon film on new masks that needs to be removed. What is the thinking behind this and how is everyone removing it? Is it "too late" to remove this now that I have done a few dives?

I've noticed the glass on my mask has marks where the silicon headband touches the glass when i store the mask. I can't seem to get those marks off, but they don't impede my vision either.

What's the preferred approach here? Should I clean my mask with dishsoap? Rubbing alcohol? Toothpaste? Burn it with a lighter?

I'm very confused as to why this seems to be common knowledge to experienced divers but the manufacturers don't seem to mention any sort of process required to remove the film (which I cannot see at all with my eyes).

As I guess you realize from your mention of toothpaste, burning with a lighter, etc., there are dozens of threads here on SB debating the best way to clean a new mask so it doesn't fog. You can read through all of them and still not know what works best because there is no consensus. It has been said that modern toothpastes aren't abrasive enough--I recall one thread included a chart showing relative abrasiveness of different brands, with the more abrasive presumably working better for defogging masks. The lighter trick is risky. I recall someone recently mentioning running the mask through a dishwasher cycle.

I have found that simply washing vigorously multiple times in hot soapy water--the whole mask, skirt and all--works pretty well. I don't know how correct this is, but it has been said that the skirt itself continues to give off some sort of gaseous residue--silicone or mold release or whatever--for a long time, so if you store your mask in a sealed mask box it might very well become more susceptible to fogging even though you cleaned it thoroughly when you bought it.

There is a silicone film on the lens from the manufacturing process. Make sure your mask is dry, put toothpaste (not gel) on the inside of the lens, really scrub the lens with a toothbrush(you won't hurt them), wash the toothpaste off. You may have to do this a couple of times. You will still have to defog your DRY mask before every dive. Put your preferred defog on and rub it in. If you are not using it right away, fill it with water so the defog doesn't dry out. I would never let anyone near my mask with a lighter, they could melt the silicone skirt.

If your still having fogging issues it could be because you are a nose breather and are breaking the seal on your mask when you dive.

i use the lighter method, then give it a quick scrub with tooth paste, then clean it all up with dishsoap.....pretty much just taking the shotgun approach to mask cleaning.....havent had any fogging issues.

every few dives i give it a scrub with some dish soap to get any human slime out of the mask and off the lenses

Toothpaste has always worked well for me. Couple of times with a thorough rinse and dry, repeat.

Thanks everyone, I will try the toothpaste. Does anyone know the thinking/science behind this? Do you guys scrub with toothpaste regularly or is it just a one-time thing?

Thanks everyone, I will try the toothpaste. Does anyone know the thinking/science behind this? Do you guys scrub with toothpaste regularly or is it just a one-time thing?

The toothpaste trick is one method for cleaning a brand-new mask of manufacturing residue. Regardless of which method you choose, after that you should only need to defog it before diving, using saliva, baby shampoo, or a commercial defog product.

This post, in one of the other threads discussing the topic of mask cleaning, has a link to a table of abrasiveness of various toothpaste brands: Toothpaste etc to clean new mask. I'm not sure if it was in that thread or another one that someone said not all toothpastes work as well as each other, and the key is to use one of the more abrasive toothpastes (which is exactly the opposite of what my dentist recommends for my teeth).

I bought a new Atomic Aquatics Frameless 2 mask a few months ago and it worked great for my first dozen or so dives, with some baby shampoo, no troubles at all.

More recently, the mask has been fogging on me despite using the same baby shampoo/spit methods. I have read and been told that there is some sort of silicon film on new masks that needs to be removed. What is the thinking behind this and how is everyone removing it? Is it "too late" to remove this now that I have done a few dives?

I've noticed the glass on my mask has marks where the silicon headband touches the glass when i store the mask. I can't seem to get those marks off, but they don't impede my vision either.

What's the preferred approach here? Should I clean my mask with dishsoap? Rubbing alcohol? Toothpaste? Burn it with a lighter?

I'm very confused as to why this seems to be common knowledge to experienced divers but the manufacturers don't seem to mention any sort of process required to remove the film (which I cannot see at all with my eyes).

Had the same issue with that mask when mine was new. I burned it and no more fogging. Cleaning with Soft Scrub is better than toothpaste and won't scratch the glass.

I had the same issues with both my frameless masks.

I used the lighter on the inside and out. Over every square MM and just to the point where it was hot to the touch. I waited in between doing the inside and out to to let it cool. I did it a couple of times. This left a black soot on the lens. When it was totally cool I used Soft Scrub and my fingers to completely clean away the soot. Then I applied a thin layer of frog spit. The frog spit is great as after it dries you don’t have to reapply, but you don’t want to rub on it too hard as it will smudge. If you do mess up the frog spit just clean the same way as before.

I was told at the time on my SB post about this that I over used the lighter as you shouldn’t get soot...but F it, it worked great. And asides from messing up the frog spit the first time I used it I haven’t had any issues.

Also, you should think about replacing the mask strap with a neoprene one (I like the one from Hollis), way easier to use and doesn’t stick to the mask in storage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom