Clean up dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveKitten

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an org. around town that does working dives/dive site cleanups? My company pays for 2 days of community service a year, and I'd love to get involved w/ something like this. Thanks!

The closest one that I know of was up at Ginnie Springs last weekend. Contact Baywatch and Mote Marine in this area and see if they have suggestions.

Thanks for the great info eandiver!

DiveKitten:
Does anyone know of an org. around town that does working dives/dive site cleanups? My company pays for 2 days of community service a year, and I'd love to get involved w/ something like this. Thanks!

The City of Winter Haven and Polk County team up each spring to clean up a specific lake each year.They do both shore and bottom cleanups.They already did it this year and if I can find the link I will send it to you.

Mote Marine in Sarasota does an anual reef clean-up, but you just missed it. It's in June.

There's a two day clean up of Boca Grande Pass every March. This one is only for truly advanced divers (having an AOW card doesn't cut it). No one checks for an advanced card, but you need to be ready for the strongest currents you've ever experienced along with low viz and task loading. Sharks are rarely seen. A grand time is had by all, cook out, t-shirts for all and door prizes after the dives.

I have been wanting to do something like that as well. I haven't been able to find anything so if you do please post it. I would love to get involved with something like that.

Walter:
There's a two day clean up of Boca Grande Pass every March. This one is only for truly advanced divers (having an AOW card doesn't cut it). ... Sharks are rarely seen. ...

Well, I guess that leaves me out... no sharks, and advanced divers only. I don't think I'm old enough from what you posted, Walter... :D

Second on the Boca Grande cleanup. Awesome dive, just be ready for it. My avatar was taken in the pass on a cleanup dive. It's an awesome dive, and the only time I'd dive the pass.

Although, technically, this is a south Florida dive, since we don't have a SW Florida forum.

There are acutally lots of dives to do reef/underwater clean ups.

Boca supported by Florida Sea Grant of Lee County and Ocean Watch's annual Beacha nd Reef clean up are 2 that I've been able to hook up with. I've learned of otheres around the state but have not taken the time to compile a list of the annual dates these occur.

Ya know, I think that I'll make that a project now that I'm back around civilization again and not living on an island with no I-net access...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom