Clean mold from equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Additional thoughts:

Not sure how you feel about this but I would not be ok with breathing in anything that had been inundated with mold. Replace reg hoses and get those fully serviced.
Get a BC hanger and just keep that tucked in the back corner of your closet with valves and hose disconnected. They take up about as much room as a jacket and it will stay in good shape. Box the rest of your stuff with the Dry Rid since none of it has the potential to hold moisture like a BC.

Additional thoughts:

Not sure how you feel about this but I would not be ok with breathing in anything that had been inundated with mold. Replace reg hoses and get those fully serviced.
Get a BC hanger and just keep that tucked in the back corner of your closet with valves and hose disconnected. They take up about as much room as a jacket and it will stay in good shape. Box the rest of your stuff with the Dry Rid since none of it has the potential to hold moisture like a BC.
Thanks for advice. Yep, I will get them fully serviced, but was time for new gear so I bought brand new regs and BC regardless.

Just curious. How would mold get into the internals of the regs?
2nd mouthpiece and exhaust port provide good access points to get into the housing. The mold shouldn't get into chamber but there is always a chance of that crap creeping in. 1st could get into the filter even with the cap on it.

2nd mouthpiece and exhaust port provide good access points to get into the housing. The mold shouldn't get into chamber but there is always a chance of that crap creeping in. 1st could get into the filter even with the cap on it.
Agreed on the second stage as the mouth piece is open, but the "dust" cap on my first seals just fine for soaking the regs.

I was very curious why someone was worried about hoses. They do not get full of spiders, dust or debris top side as they are sealed. How would mold be an issue?

Agreed on the second stage as the mouth piece is open, but the "dust" cap on my first seals just fine for soaking the regs.

I was very curious why someone was worried about hoses. They do not get full of spiders, dust or debris top side as they are sealed. How would mold be an issue?
Mold has a way of creeping into everything. Just the same way as trees and plants will send a root through a "sealed" wall so can mold through a diaphragm seal. The risk for mold in the hose is minimal but the $15-20 cost each for replacement is negligible imo. Plus the gear is old and the hoses are likely original. Not a bad idea to replace anyways (I use 20+ yr hoses on 1 rig). The dust cap for the 1st stage prevents water (large molecules) from ingress, it does not however provide a hermetic seal for smaller stuff.

So you take off the spg, hoses from regs soak it all in diluted bleach, rinse, put it back together on a tank
blow it out

There, serviced!

Can I buy your old regs, mate
Clean them up for a spare set

So you take off the spg, hoses from regs soak it all in diluted bleach, rinse, put it back together on a tank
blow it out

There, serviced!

Can I buy your old regs, mate
Clean them up for a spare set
I agree. Clean and service them. If the OP did the DIY route that's fine. But I would still replace hoses since they're cheap.

Back
Top Bottom