Question Moldy(?) second stage; Any chance of revival?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My bad, this whole thread was kinda unintentionally misleading, I have been taking you all on a roller coaster

I realize how I’m breaking some peoples hearts by saying stuff like that (Dremel)
I should have put a trigger warning

To be clear: I got this for 10 euros, it was seriously beaten up, it was begging to die (looks wise) and the exhaust was already dead (and NLA) and just a week earlier I had just seen the Yin Yang 156s (above)
Here the only 2 before pictures:
1724573807835.png
1724573823462.png

It seemed perfect for the job of taking it to the butchers

Maybe I need new glasses but I do not see mold.
you don’t, that was an after picture, I already have cleaned off quite a bit of black residue

chrome plating is gone, flaked off, exposing raw brass which has a little verdigris on those now exposed brass areas.
That’s my handy work
that area was caked in it (what I believe is mold) , still was at that point as well just not cakey

More or less: the entirety of the brass under the mouthpiece was indeed chromed (well for the few seconds on the few parts that I could see while scrubbing it looked like it)
But it was also black, powdery black, that well.. was not silicone
I first thought mouthpiece but the other parts of the case didn’t make sense how the silicone came to the other spots (after pictures to show the extent of caking/brushing), and why I dragged a powdery layer of it every time I dragged my hand into the metal tube
All what’s in brass gold/orange used to be black:
EC1441BB-A456-41B7-BC34-E6D86C6BD495.jpeg
F13E229C-1517-4806-956B-9AA722FD8050.jpeg

Also looking inside the (disgusting) mouthpiece it shows no cracking or similar, just an extra film of “lake water life” (brownish greenish), which I experinced before on a white maskstrap

It’s where water could sit the longest (also scratched up parts that are porous so inviting for life)
Maybe it's not mold.. dried algea.. primordial juice... whatever that was; I want it a galaxy aways from me

Here is how the faceplate (future victim) came up after all the cleaning:
(5 picture limit, next post)

I will try and remind you, noob trying a new skill on a safe playground, here are my other BAs:
(Next post)

The Dremel will come for it, Ill have a couple of practice runs on some random sheet metal, but one day soon enough it will… :saw:

Attachments

• 927C65A7-D5B8-4302-AFCD-DDE08563216C.jpeg
    927C65A7-D5B8-4302-AFCD-DDE08563216C.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 17
Faceplate after:
C385B6D8-3F8E-4624-B57D-2426CF3A0404.jpeg
B81FB104-3525-4626-9438-231D0B8590DA.jpeg

(The ding/bang is NOT my work)

Other better off BAs:
One in mirror (ish) one in satin
image.jpg
79963525-DE4A-45D3-BE12-6868CEA94AD8.jpeg

Mould schmould you've got left over mouthpiece gunge soak it in thinner and throw your vinegar to the
shithouse and black residue from brazing, copper goes over the brass before chrome what a termination

Mould schmould you've got left over mouthpiece gunge soak it in thinner and throw your vinegar to the
shithouse and black residue from brazing, copper goes over the brass before chrome what a termination
the damage is done man 😅, but now I know for the regs that I really don’t wanna hurt

Back
Top Bottom