Clarification of scuba applicable lubrication, salt corrosion/protection please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redrover

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was looking for silicone spray – yes I saw it on line in dive shops but looking here at home. I’ve read a lot of threads but still unclear what something can and cannot contain. I hope at least one of what I got is ok for any of/some/all scuba stuff. I can type out the details from the cans but I hope someone may know of these products or understand lubricant composition and chemicals better. One concern is that everything I could find saying silicone spray had petrochemical components or perhaps I’m confused with petroleum based. Am I over concerned about residual chemical breaking down things like BC components and inhalation risks?

If you have a specific item (brand name) you use or know to be ok could you please include what type of resource you find it in such as restaurant or construction and include any specific not use on XXX things.

Couldn’t find anything Food Grade specific other than Pam. Used that on a sticky Dry Snorkel and now is gummy as well as sticky, sigh. This was after soaking in vinegar and still sticky. That particular item was expensive and I’d like visitors to be able to use it. Sure can’t resell it the way it is.

If not ok for scuba stuff I’ve got plenty of other places to use it. And I do have Christo-Lube.

2 are SYNCO

Super Lube: Synthetic lubricant with Syncolon (TR) (PTFE) has Heptane that I think is the evaporating with exposure to air solvent for aerosol delivery. Says it is non-toxic anti-corrosive shield that prevents rust and is impervous to salt water.

Super Lube: DRI-FILM Lubricant with Syncolon (TR) (PTFE) has Hexane. Self cleaning lubricant cleans while lubricating, leaving protectant that will not attract dust. Can use on (including) rubber, fabric, vinyl, leather and plastics not under stress. “…Is USDA authorized H-1 for use in federally inspected meat and poultry plants.”

SNAP (a Penzol/Quaker State) Silicone Spray Has Heptane and petroleum naptha.

Mahalo for the info/thoughts/opinions/ suggestions and while I do not enjoy being bashed, I can take it…I think.

what do you want to lube up with silicone spray? I use Super Lube silicone grease. hang on, babby issue

sorry about that chief.
I use Super Lube grease on spark plug wires, disc brake callipers, dead centers on metal lathes, zippers, wet/dry suit zippers. bicycle components, inflator valves, and regulators are just a few of many things. It is a very good product.
I have not found any use for silicone spray but I do have a can in the tool box.
Pam works good on my mountain bike before I ride in muddy conditions, I hose it down with pam before the ride and the mud rinses right off with a hose and water after the ride.
I hope this helps.

I would not recommend using any kind of spray on your gear. All it will really end up doing is catching and holding sand and dirt near the part that you are trying to keep clean - basically it'll cause more problems than it's worth. For the snorkle, soak and then wash it with Simple Green (I usually use a 50/50 SG/water solution) and see if that doesn't fix it. You probably have sand stuck around the float in there and grease/oil is only going to make that problem worse.

NO aerosol cans, ever. If you have to use a spray it has to be in a pump bottle, like you said food grade silicone. A few dive makers have their own little brands.

BTW Heptane, Hexane and Naptha are all flamable. Naptha is also the main ingredient in Napalm.

Thank you! Just what I was looking for info.
I’m just trying to put together some bits and pieces I’d likely to need. Having run across threads talking about lubrication/protection my impression was I’d need some – to be honest, I wasn’t sure where except zippers and knives. I thought about the stuff collecting grime, it’s already a problem in the ocean front environment. My furniture doesn’t get dusty, it gets coated with a sludge.
Then the sticky snorkel thingy, was suggested to use Pam with dismal results. Luckily I read about Christo-Lube before I needed it (1st stage port plug) and figured bicycle grease oughta work.
04.gif

The pump spray silicone is what I was seeing online.
So now a zipper is getting stiff, I guess I’ll have to buck up and get something specific for scuba wetsuit zippers.
Gee I wish I’d heard about Pamming a Bike, sure could have used that one a few years ago.
Very happy to hear several times now Simple Green is ok, love the stuff.

Thanks again, really appreciate the help.
Lisa

....I really hope you didn't use bicycle grease on it...*shudder*

Christo-Lube is great but really expensive (I'm sure you found that out), unless you are using mixes of more than 40% O2 just use Dow Corning #111 (tube, havn't seen a spray), it's about 5x cheaper! And a little goes a long way.

Simple Green is great and so is 409. And car wax works well for protecting knife blades.

I've never found a need to spray anything on any of my gear.

For food-grade silicone lubricant, try a hardware store -- for instance, Ace Hardware where I live carries it. (in the plumbinc section) -- just ask a clerk.

Back
Top Bottom