Cis-Lunar opinions Please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ALMO$T BROKE once bubbled...
I am looking for opinions on the Cis-Lunar Mk5 rebreather. Does anyone dive this?

A couple of people do, unfortunately I'm not one of them. :( But judging by your handle, I might just have one before you do. :wink:

"Saturated" is as far as I know the only one who has one here on the board.
I'm not sure if he dives it though ... .

Kevin Juergensen does the service on the Mk5s, he might be able to help.
http://www.electricfilm.com/

I know the Heinerths dive them, Jill is an IANTD instructor on the unit. She can be contacted through their website. You'll find 6 more instructors there, from Norway to Singapore.
http://www.iantd.com/cgi-bin/instructors_search.pl?name=&Country=&State=&City=&certifications=+803

You also might want to check on the RB threads here, there ought to be some Cis-Lunar stuff there.

Stefan

Addited: Plenty on the VR3 here (in the RB thread), too. Give the search function a shot. I remember Madmole posting about a good place to buy them.
There's also the Inspiration & VR3 forum at www.ccrinfo.com/forum that might be able to help you with a VR3. Then there is always the HS Explorer, my preference.

Thanks for your input. I personally know Paul and Jill and have talked to Paul about his and was looking for some more input. BTW I chose that handle because it always seems that no matter how much I save, I always find something new that I want. :)
Much regards and best diving!

Cis Lunar is a great unit;however, as a new breather guy I would go with a unit that is currently under production. The cis-lunar is no longer being produced. Parts are a who you know scenario and training is going to get harder and harder to get. I have heard that jergunson marine is going to service the cis lunar units as well as supply parts. My personal feeling is get an inspiration and a top notch instructor like Tom Mount or Don Towsend. It will be a snap to get parts, and since the unit is in current production updates will also be possible. If you get a Cis be ready to spend some bucks! Just my .02.

No problem,

the only supid question is an unasked question.

Inspiration is a closed circuit rebreather.

Then do you have to train on a sccr first before going on to a ccr. I am currently planning a session on the dolphin. My future plans call for diving deep wrecks for exploration purposes and video/photography. Am I limited as far as penetrating wrecks with a rb?

Depends on what deep is. SCC will limit you on depth and bottom time when compared to a ccr. No you would not need any instruction on the dolphin to dive a ccr. You will need to get a top notch ccr instructor if you decide to dive ccr. If you want the ability to go deep and stay there then a ccr is the way to go. I would recommend the inspiration, but there are other fine units in production as well. I have'nt dove them so can't comment on their specifics or fuction. I dont know your experience level, but nitrox and advanced nitrox are prerec's for the IANTD program on the inspiration. I would get those and have very strict, sound OC abilities prior to any ccr consideration. You should have excellent boyancy, dive planning and emergency skill prior to begining a ccr course.

Hope this helps, I'm a bit brain dead right now

the rb-80 maybe the exception to the rule as far as scc goes, but again I have'nt dove one so cant comment on them. Do a search and PM someone who has one for info or goto the halcyon website.

... the Canadian SIVA+ and the Swedish Interspiro DCSC. The former is rated to 95 metres using mixed gasses. The latter has been dived to 150 metres in the field and to 450 metres in a chamber.

Both are used in the main by armed forces divers, usually for mine clearing, or by law enforcement personnel (the FBI and the Secret Service use the DCSC, apparently).

This means their availability to the general public (both in hardware and training terms) are very limited, so the RB80 is definitely more accessible. :D

Otherwise I wholeheartedly concur with Saturated's remarks. His unusually broad experience of many types of RB:s (including the 'esoteric' Cis-Lunar) and his strong grasp of diving medicine (as seen in other sections of this board) makes him a very valuable addition indeed to this forum. :yea:

K.

Back
Top Bottom