Chromis vs. Meridian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Can somebody please tell me what the differences are between the Chromis and the Meridian? I have downloaded the user manual for each, and after reading them I come to the conclusion that these two computers have the same functionality. As I recall, they are approximately the same in price. I think the Chromis might have a slightly more intuitive user interface, but I haven't played with one yet. About a year ago I did play with the Meridian enough to get comfortable with the user interface, though I did stumble a bit in the beginning.

There has to be a reason why Scubapro brought out a second watch/computer, but so far I haven't been able to figure out why.

Hi Zf2nt,

The Meridian and Chromis are very similar in functionality, it's true. We saw a need in the market for a sportier, less expensive dive computer / watch with many of the same core SCUBAPRO features as the luxury Meridian dive computer / watch, and thus Chromis was born.

However there are some notable differences:

Chromis has a backlight, Meridian has a reverse backlight
Meridian has PMG (predictive multi gas), Chromis is only a one-gas computer
Chromis has the patented swim lap counter, Meridian does not
Meridian has the optional HRM (heart rate monitor) capability, Chromis does not
Chromis has the new Katana Font, Meridian does not
Meridian has a solid 316L stainless steel housing, Chromis does not
Meridian and Chromis have different straps
Meridian and Chromis have different buttons - Meridian's are magnetic, Chromis' are thru-hull
Meridian comes in a Black-Tech version, Chromis does not
Chromis has an extra-large battery, Meridian does not
Chromis comes in 3 colors, Meridian has 2 versions, and 5 optional color straps
Chromis MSRP is $499 , Meridian MSRP is $599, Meridian Black Tech MSRP is $649

Many dive computers have very similar functionality- at the end of the day users choose based on their personal preferences.

Happy Diving,

kateSCUBAPRO

Can someone explain to me why neither support transmitters? that's an instant product killer for me when I'm looking at updating my Oceanic Geo (original) watch to something a little more fancy.

Hi GregSaiz,

Both Chromis and Meridian do. The manuals are up on scubapro.com if you want to find out more.

Happy Diving,

kateSCUBAPRO

Thanks Kate, I just picked up the Chromis had a question before diving it on Saturday. I really need a resettable stopwatch in gauge mode that supports MM:SS. The Meridian supports this but it isn't clear if the gauge mode stop watch on the Chromis supports HH:MM or MM:SS. I'm really hoping the Chromis provides a way to access a stopwatch/timer with seconds when in gauge mode.

Did my first few dives with the Chromis today and it's excellent. Running in gauge mode, you have a resettable stopwatch with HH:MM:SS, resettable average depth, as well as persistent dive duration and depth. You can also toggle to view temp, time of day, etc. Well done Scubapro.

Update: Well, I feel like a beta tester. The Chromis died on my fourth dive and is on the way back to Scubapro for diagnosis. I can see a water droplet inside so either the back case or pushbutton seals failed. Also, it looks like their log download software has not been updated to support the Chromis. When connecting, I can see the computer and all the advanced settings, however, dive log download does not complete.

I am also still waiting for Scubapro to update their logtrak software to accomodate the Chromis.

mv:
I am also still waiting for Scubapro to update their logtrak software to accomodate the Chromis.

Scubapro Support finally sent over updated software. You may want to ask your dive shop to put you in touch with the local Scubapro rep to get the updated version. Sadly, my replacement Chromis failed after three long dives in cold water so I've returned it. Let me know it goes with yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom