Christmas Tree divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
This is a question that was raised in my head as I was taking a quick inventory of my current gear configuration. Over the past few months, I've been cutting back on the amount of gear I'd dive with. However, I started taking a wreck course, which more or less meant that I had to return to the use of full suits.

In addition, I've added a few more items to my kit list. So it got me wondering if I was becoming a "christmas tree diver"

Currently, I dive a full 3/2 wet suit, BP/W, snorkel attached to plate, 2 small lights attached to shoulder d-rings, safety whistle attached to inflator hose, small 3 inch serrated knife on waist strap, main reel attached on a ring on my plate, DSMB bungeed to the bottom of my plate, and in my pockets, a finger spool, tables, slates, a back-up mask, back-up knife, and signal mirror.

I just want a feel from the board as to what exactly constitutes a "christmas tree diver."

Is it number of things brought?

Is it configuration?

I just want a feel from the board as to what exactly constitutes a "christmas tree diver."

Is it configuration?

I'm sure someone will chime in with a better answer, but: Visualize a diver with a strict "Hogarthian" style configuration.... only taking what is needed, everthing stowed and streamlined.... now think of the exact opposite.... that is the dreaded "Christmas Tree".

Your configuration would not even count as a small holiday ornament, let alone a full Christmas Tree :D

You're fine.

A "Christmas Tree" to me is a diver with something hung off of every D-ring on his rig, gauges and octo blowing in the wind, and he has to stay six feet above the reef when horizontal to avoid entanglement :D

Best wishes.

I've seen guys like that-they look funny when they have to surface swim. At some point you're tempted to ask, "Honestly, two pony tanks haus?" Not to be a wise ass but it is nice to have someone around with pencil-just in case the need arises. I also like the dudes who bring along the "diving machete."

Last edited:

I'd say it's about the # of things brought on a dive that aren't needed to complete it safely.

Is it configuration?

Possibly, as LeadTurnSD put it (emphasis added),
Visualize a diver with a strict "Hogarthian" style configuration.... only taking what is needed, everthing stowed and streamlined.... now think of the exact opposite.... that is the dreaded "Christmas Tree".

follow that advice & you won't be a "Christmas Tree Diver".

Well, see there's the rub. I'm sure that for shallow (60 ft) daytime reef diving in the tropics, a full suit, lights, spools, slate, tables, back-up mask and back-up knife are probably over-kill. But these things tuck away nicely in my pockets Can I view these items as the absolute minimum to conduct most dives safely?

(I'm leaving out the SMB because I think everyone should have one. )

I just want a feel from the board as to what exactly constitutes a "christmas tree diver." Is it number of things brought? Is it configuration?
I am not aware of an official, universally accepted definition of a CTD. My assessment is usually based on the configuration - how many items are dangling loose from some point of attachment on the BC. For example, and paraphrasing Jeff Foxworthy, 'If you have a large flate slate, and it is clipped to a BCD and dangles / flutters as you swim, you could be a Christmas tree diver.
Currently, I dive a full 3/2 wet suit, BP/W, snorkel attached to plate, 2 small lights attached to shoulder d-rings, safety whistle attached to inflator hose, small 3 inch serrated knife on waist strap, main reel attached on a ring on my plate, DSMB bungeed to the bottom of my plate, and in my pockets, a finger spool, tables, slates, a back-up mask, back-up knife, and signal mirror.
There does not appear to be anything in your equipment list that is unecessary or superfluous for ocean diving. Lights, cutting tools, signaling devices, reels - primaries and appropriate back-ups - it sounds pretty squared away. As for whether all items are necessary for daytime, 60 ft reef diving, I like to dive a standard configuration, and I don't necessarily downsize because a dive is supposedly 'simple'. Every dive becomes practice and training of some sort.

Far more often I run into divers that should have more accessories with them than they do. For instance a small light is essential in most of our diving do looking into small places and signaling in poor visibility but many divers don't bring one.

Some dives simply require more stuff and so be it. There can be cases where you bring certain items on every dive simplify as a matter of habit and for consistent configuration. You may not need an item to make the dive but you may choose to do a drill with it for instance. You could argue that the drill is part of the plan, hence the item was needed.........

A year or 2 ago somebody posted a picture of some warm water diver festooned with 1/2 of a dive shop. Things like a huge magna-doodle, big slate, and I forget what else hung from the gear laden diver struggling to swim in feet down trim.. The addition of the coiled plastic layards in assorted neon colors to each worldly possesion completes the ensemble.

Think things through and if it makes sense to you for your dive plan it is good.

Pete

Hey Andy,

At least he used bolt snaps and not suicide clips :D

...remember however, that it's the CTDs that help generate the revenue stream that helps dive shops stay in business for the rest of us!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom