Choosing Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nwcid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So far this has been the most confusing part for me. There are Steel and Aluminum then if I understand correctly 3 different (possibly 4 if you count the DOT exempt) pressure and 2 reg mounting styles all before we even talk about doubles :confused:

Here is my situation so lets see if we can get this sorted out. I tried looking for some similar threads cause I am sure they are on here but I was not able to find them. If you have a link I would be more then happy to read it.

I am trying to get set up for 2 of us, me and the GF. We just got our OW late this fall. In class we used jacket BC's, Scuba Pro regs with Air 2, and I believe the tanks were steel and we started with about 2400 psi each time (I dont recall exactly). The tanks we had were slightly smaller then an AL80. After OW we rented gear from a different shop (was easier to get it picked up then the shop we did the class with) so we could get some practice in on our own. She used a jacket BC and I used a rear inflate. This time we had Apex regs with octo's and were using AL80 tanks with 3200 psi in them. This time it seemed we had much more dive time before we were out of air. I know this could be for several reason like being more comfortable, less stressful situation, moving at our own pace, ect.

Since then we have been buying our own gear. It is all in transit right now. We bought BP/W set ups and HOG D1 reg sets.

Where we live it is over an hour one way to the closest dive shop. There is one where I work and he was made me a really good deal when we rented from him before but if I rent from him I have the gear out 5 days. So we would like our own tanks. I assume that if you wanted to do more then one maybe 2 dives over a couple of days we are going to need at least 2 tanks each. I can get air fills locally with the local dive team but if we travel a little shops are few and far between in my area.

So lets start with an easy one. DIN vs Yoke mount. I am not sure if there is a price difference in them or not. The regs we got are DIN mount and come with Yoke adapters. If we are diving our own tanks is there any reason not to just use the DIN? I assume that when you travel that Yoke is more common and to bring the adapter, is this true?

Next is steel vs aluminum. I have read a lot about how steel is better for buoyancy since it is always negative and will need less weight. It also seems like the overall life of them is better. Problem I run into is price. I am looking at 4 tanks. For AL80's that is about $700, but to go to steel the same size it is almost 2x as much. Next would be an issue of traveling and setting up our buoyancy. Are steel tanks usually readily available for rent when traveling? If not then each dive trip we make would would have to redo our buoyancy, or am I making too big of a deal out of this? I have semi been looking at used tanks on CL but I have no idea what to look for and would really like 4 matching tanks, or even 2 of the same for her set vs my set since she may not need as big of tanks as me.

Of course last comes down to that whole pressure thing. Which one and why/why not. I have not had the chance to yet, but I will be checking with the dive team to see what pressure they can fill to since I assume it is compressor dependent. If they can not fill HP is there any reason to buy HP tanks?

I know there is a lot of questions in there and thanks for you time.

you don't want to use the adapters unless you have to. it saves the back of your head. They work, but they aren't ideal.
Went through this once before with you, but don't buy new tanks. Whoever is selling 4 AL80's for $700 is ripping you off, and $1400 for 4 new steels is not that bad, but it's still a boat load of money. I understand you're not in seattle, but here's a few craigslist postings that will easily pay for the day trip to seattle for you.
SCUBA Tanks LP 98 cu ft offer them $450 for the three of those
Steel Scuba Tanks LP offer $400 for those
Scuba Tanks: Steel LP 95s that's a great price and great tank for the GF
Scuba Tanks: LP 120 those are awesome tanks and not a bad price, especially if you're taller
Scuba Tanks: TWIN FABER Steel LP 85's offer $500 for those, that'll be good if you want to go doubles down the road. Spend $20 for the plugs and you can double them up when you are ready.
I know Seattle is a hike, and you'll spend say $100 in gas to head out there assuming 20mpg with gas at 3.50. BUT you can get two lp 95's and two lp120's, for about $900 total which is not much more than the new AL80's, but they hold a bunch more gas, less lead on the belts, will last forever, are good to double up later down the road, etc etc. The trek down to portland isn't worth it, but trekking to seattle will save you a ton of money.

Assuming you are diving local in Washington State, then you are cold water diving so you are either drysuit or thick wetsuit......

The 2400 psi tanks were low pressure steel.......

I would go for a high pressure steel 100 with a combination DIN/K valve. Like a Worthington X7-100......they trim out nice, same diameter as a AL80 and hold lots of gas.....

I am assuming you can get good high pressure fills from your LDS.......

In the long run, tanks will become cheap as you dive them for many years....

As you have DIN regs, you can avoid the adapter but still have the yoke option if you need it.....

Hope this helps....M

You missed something in your discussion with the steels and aluminum.

Steels come in two flavors: LP (3000 or less) and HP (3442, generally).

If your LDS cannot fill the HP steel tanks past 3000psi, you will constantly have less than full tanks. Sax recommended all LPs.

The most desirable tank in the world is the HP 100 X7 steel tank. No one wants to sell them. :(

Sax I know you posted CL links before and it is going to be a couple months before I can afford buy tanks. I really appreciate you help but I am trying to gain the knowledge I need to make good choices when that time comes. I am willing to make the trip anywhere reasonable (Seattle/Portland are) plus I work with guys that work in that part of those parts of the state and will make pickups for me.

I do like the links for the LP 95's and 120's. But is HP better? What makes those better then something else? Are they set up for DIN or how does that work? The 95's say they need VIP roughly what should that cost? Is it a good idea to have the 120's done even though it has a current sticker on it? What happens if I take them to a shop for "testing" and they are bad? Those are the kind of questions that makes it hard for me to jump on used stuff like this even though I know it is a great deal.

For the tank price I was using DGE. I think the local shop told me $160 for an AL80 and DGE has them at $190 so I used $175x4 as an estimate, Aluminum SCUBA Tanks - Dive Gear Express They had HP LP80's for $325 each.

Right now we are thick wet. Only so much money to spend and didnt have a spare $10K sitting around for 2 sets of everything. At some point I am sure we will go dry.

That X7-100 looks nice but puts us back up to about $1500 in tanks, unless you can find used ones........

I am sure the "local" dive shop can HP fill, but there is nothing local about it. I will find out about the local dive club compressor though.

Assuming you are diving local in Washington State, then you are cold water diving so you are either drysuit or thick wetsuit......

The 2400 psi tanks were low pressure steel.......

I would go for a high pressure steel 100 with a combination DIN/K valve. Like a Worthington X7-100......they trim out nice, same diameter as a AL80 and hold lots of gas.....

I am assuming you can get good high pressure fills from your LDS.......

In the long run, tanks will become cheap as you dive them for many years....

As you have DIN regs, you can avoid the adapter but still have the yoke option if you need it.....

Hope this helps....M

If you can get good fills go with HP tanks....

LP-95 is an 8" diameter tank with a 42 lb empty weight......HP-100 is a 7.25" diameter and a 33 lb empty weight....both 24" tall

I dive LP-95's myself (old fire department castoffs), I have massive tank envy on every shore entry......:)

Once they fail vis or hydro I am going with the X7-100's

M

Reactions: Jax
I know it is a bunch of of $$$$$....

It is worse if you first buy the AL80's and then later get steel tanks and the AL80's go unused......as my daughters AL63's did, she outgrew them quick....

M

There is a reason you can find lots of used LP tanks.......:)

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom