Choosing Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the input. My brain and research is still in OT.

that is not true i have lp tanks both 7 1/4 and 8 inch

Ok, I think I just figured something out that I was having a major hang up on. HP and LP tanks have a physical inside size difference. So if I am understanding this right say an LP100 would, for example, hold 3 gallons of water but an HP100 would only hold 2 gallons. They both would hold the same amount of air cause in the HP it is "forced" in tighter ie HP.

So if I have this right then depending on what the pressure fill was you might only have 80 or 90 cu ft of air.

So then that begs the question is an under filled HP better then a filled LP because of size?

So I found out the compressor specs. 5000 psi with 15cfm and a cascade system that is currently being hydroed and rebuilt.

A LDS is closing and says he is going to sell his new AL80's at $105 each filled and ready to go. This is a very tempting deal.

Today at work we made it over to "Seattle" and stopped in at a popular dive shop their that has lots of stuff in stock. I was finally able to see many tanks so was able to see the size/weight difference myself. Steel HP80's are tiny compared to AL80's. The steel HP100's seemed like a good all around tank for size/weight/volume/price (even at 3x the price of the AL).

With our thick suits, BC's and AL tanks we had to have a lot of lead. Am I correct in assuming that by going to steel BP/W and steel tanks we should be able to lose close to 10lb of weight?

By switching from Al to steel, you will drop about five to six pounds of total ballast. With the steel plate, you will drop at least another five pounds from your belt or weight pockets, but you will still be carrying that weight on land. Whether it's in the plate or in the weight belt doesn't matter, you still have to climb the hill from Day Island Wall wearing it :)

I know the weight will still be there. For the GF with her low back surgery (many years ago) weight belts hurt her. So moving the weight to better places helps a lot. I know the weekend we rented integrated weight BC's she had no problem.

that's not entirely true. The backplate weight will still be there but it's on your shoulders not your hips which is a lot better, and depending on the tanks the weight may disappear. Go to LP85's that weigh the same as an al80 and the 5lbs disappear. Have her check out a diverite transpac if she has back problems, they distribute weight better than anything out there

The BC she got is a Dive Rite with Transplate Harness and back pad and think that will work well. They will be at the house when I get home tomorrow so we will get to see.

She had a major low back surgery many years ago and is fine most of the time. The problem was where/how the weight belt put pressure made her ache. Pain went away as soon as she took it off.

Back
Top Bottom