Choosing between 2 sets of gear- HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jac8724

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Need to decide between 2 sets of gear, and its really hard. Im new(ish) to diving, I have always rented, and this is a big decision.

One set is from my LDS, the other from LeisurePro, but this is not a LDS v. LP question. My LDS doesn't carry the LP set, and the two sets im looking at are comparable in price (only $90 more at my LDS, and the gear is equally good I think, so no biggie) I just want the best gear for me, no matter where it comes from.
But I cant decide! Some info about me: Live in Chicago, dive the great lakes, so do cold water diving, and dive warm water abroad as well. I'm also female, and fond of 'pretty' gear. See below:

Option 1: LDS set $1230
BCD: Seaquest Libra (tried on, loved the fit)
Reg: Sherwood Blizzard (i dive lake michigan)
Octo: Sherwood ??? (some $99 one)
Computer: Gekko console

Option 2: LP set- Mares 'She Dives' set $1140 w/ shipping
BCD: Mares Aliikai (i will substitute this instead of the Kalia, but cant try it on)
Reg: Mares Proton 42 Metal light blue (beautiful regulator)
Octo: Mares Proton Octopus
Computer: Mares Mission Puck 3 computer counsel (has backlight, Gekko does not)
Extras- Matching dive gear duffel bag and regulator bag
Mares She Dives Scuba Package

What I am concerned about is that I tried on the Libra and really liked it, but could not find a Aliikai to try on. Neither have the velcro cumberbund, which I really like.
The Libra has this awesome expandable pocket, and the Aliikai folds up nicely for travel. Both are back inflate. Just dont know....:idk:

What about the other gear- Sherwood Blizzard and Mares Proton 42 both have excellent reviews...Gekko vs Mission Puck 3? I kinda like that the Puck has a backlight. However, I also value a relationship with my LDS. On the other hand, the Mares gear is really cute!

Any words of advice? Thanks!

Hmm... Well you could try talking to your LDS and tell them that you are interested in Mares.. Your LDS might have a relationship with another LDS that has Mares, and be able to arrange for you to get your gear and still keep your money kind of local..

I just checked Mare's dealer network.. Underwater Safaris Chicago is one of their dealers..

http://www.uwsafaris.com/

Last edited:
I asked my local LDS if they could come close to the LP price on the Mares gear. They basically said no, but with a sincere response, which I really appreciated:

"We cannot compete with Leisure Pro with pricing for Mares products. They are not an authorized dealer and can sell the product at whatever price they choose. We have a dealer agreement that restricts what we can charge.
What we do offer instead is:

• current equipment (not last year's or the year before) models
  • limited lifetime warranty on the regulator & BCD
  • free assembly and testing
  • free test dive in the pool
  • lifetime service reminders (to keep the warranties valid)
  • never rent again promise: if we can't get it repaired in time for your trip, you will take our equipment free)
  • knowledgeable salespeople that care about you & your needs and will only sell you what is right for you.
  • cheaper rates on service
  • proactive assistance with any recalls and warranty replacement issues
Let me know if we can be of assistance."

---------

I think LP is an authorized Mares dealer, but I'm not sure. Either way, LP gives an equivalent warranty, albeit the hassle of mailing your gear back and forth, which is a negative.

I really appreciated my LDS's response to my request, and can understand where they're coming from. The LDS did offer me the other set of gear (Option 1) for a comparable price, so now its LDS or LP, two different sets of gear, with comparable prices, since they wont order and lower the Mares stuff down to under $1200.

***And I went to Underwater Safaris, and they didnt have any Mares BCDs/Regs in stock. Great people there though. They offered me a set for $1200: Libra BCD, Titan LX (new red model) Reg, a Titan Octo, and Gekko Computer. However, cant really get there for service because I leave my gear and car parked at my parents near the other LDS i mentioned, over an hour from Underwater Safaris, but that's still another option..option 3!***

Last edited:
With that attitude, the local shop sounds good to me. Sherwood regs are know for being very hardy and low maintenance workhorses.

I don't know squat about these particular pieces, but I'd like to opine on a couple of things:

1. If you're diving Lake Michigan then don't cheap out on the octo. In cold water, not just the 1st stage that gets frozen but 2nd stage can also freeze as well. Get the octo that matches your primary 2nd stage.

2. Consider that it's less than $100 out of over $1000 purchase, then go with LDS. Nothing against LeisurePro, but heaven forbids if you have equipment problems and you want to dive that weekend. LP can't do squat for you but an appreciative LDS can lend you their own gear for free.

For what it's worth Mares has gotten a bad reputation for backordering parts....my LDS has had fins on order for quite a while and they have had reg parts on order for over a month now, luckly it just an old reg I am restoring or I would be hostile.
For only $100 differance and a good LDS to back it up, I will go with the LDS every time.
If you want some pretty gear and like pink look for a Aqualung Mikron in pink, cute little reg with a solid history behind the design.

Last edited:
"We cannot compete with Leisure Pro with pricing for Mares products. They are not an authorized dealer and can sell the product at whatever price they choose.

Hi all,

Leisure Pro is indeed an authorized Mares dealer.

Along with the added goodies (the two bags are almost $100 dollars together purchased seperately) and the great Mares name, this gear line is designed specifically for women (obvious differences in the BCD). The computers are comparable however the Mares regulator sweetens the deal.

The Mares She Dives scuba package is more than a good bargain.

If you have any specific questions about the package feel free to drop me a line.

Adam

How often do divers experience the need to utilize the warranty on their equipment? Is this just a 'once-in-a-blue-moon' situation? Happens regularly?

How often do divers experience the need to utilize the warranty on their equipment? Is this just a 'once-in-a-blue-moon' situation? Happens regularly?

Depends on how often you dive. Or sometimes you have a case of the dumbass and decided to play technician and screwed something up that requires said piece of equipment sent back to the manufacturer for repair. :depressed:

Of course depending on the LDS too. The ones that are worth a damn tend to go out of their way to help customers out. Some examples from my personal experience:

1. My custom wetsuit was on order and I wanted to go diving before the suit was done. LDS rented a wetsuit to me for free.
2. Same as above but it was a BC this time.
3. I had a case of the dumbass and decided to take my regulator apart. Some pieces went missing, so they re-ordered the part and rented me their reg for free. I would have charged my dumbass for reg rental, but they didn't.
4. My roommate and dive partner bought a Wisdom 1 dive comp from LeisurePro. Something was wrong with it and it got sent back to LP who took care of the issue (on two different occassions). Meanwhile said LDS rented him an SPG console for free because he had been a good customer to the LDS though he didn't buy the dive comp from them.

And that's why I pay extra for getting equipment at LDS instead of online. Don't get me wrong, I do buy a few dive items online but they tend to be low dollar items. The big dollar items, I'd rather spend the money and support the LDS - as long as they continue to treat me the way they have always been treating me.

Any words of advice? Thanks!

If I were you I would take option 1

- Sherwood regs are better than Mares regs, imo
- You liked the way the libra BCD fits and Seaquest inflators are bulletproof
- Suunto computers use a tried and tested algorithm with literally millions upon millions of diver hours of proof that they're ok. The Mares computer uses something I personally have my doubts about and hasn't been nearly as well proven in practice.

Also, while the Gekko doesn't have a back light, the face plate is phosphorescent just like your spg and compass is. It's not a problem, just shine your light on it an you'll be able to read it in the dark.

Ignore the way it looks when you're making this decision. Functionality matters in the water, not how cute it is.

R..

Back
Top Bottom