Choosing a Drysuit and Finding the Right Fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if your diving in moderate temps then a standard undergarment is ok -if your diving in colder or you really feel the cold then youll need a better undergarment which usually means more loft - allow for this when sizing - also if you travel a lot then a lighter material might be better - i do a lot of wreck diving so i chose a heavy fabric to reduce wear but its heavier then others

And don't skimp on the undergarment- because that is the part that keeps you warm. In most cases - the drysuit doesn't keep you warm at all - it just keeps you dry.
And even that is optional.
I love my drysuit as I just posted. But I've got a custom wetsuit from O'Three too and I love that more. As soon as the water is over 15c I'm back in my wetsuit. It's not the same if I'm not actually getting wet somehow.
Also, if you dive a lot and can switch back in the warmer months it saves wear and tear on the more expensive of the two. Wetsuits are easier to fix etc etc.
Totally agree. Just doesn't feel the same.

I'm sure this has been talked about many times before, but I would really like to compile some information before I go out and drop 2-3k on a drysuit. I am currently looking for a drysuit of moderate price but I really don't know anything about them. I am someone who is big and tall ( 350 - 6'4") so that is something to always consider. I also don't know the difference in the materials used ie. latex, silicone, neoprene. Finally what should I be looking for specifically as someone going into tech diving soon and living somewhere with moderate temperatures so not super cold. Should I go custom? Is there a brand people prefer? Please send me whatever you have experienced so I can get a good idea.
Due to your size it is unlikely a off the rack suit will fit you well. Customization may be a much better option. A trilam offers a lot of flexibility as it can be used in warm or frigid waters by adjusting the amount of insulation. These days there are a LOT of solid brands and options to choose from.
DRIS sell a lot of suits and also have one of the largest drysuit repair shops in the US. Give them a call as they stock and are familiar with a lot of different suits.

FWIW, I felt completely overwhelmed by all the options when I was researching drysuits. I signed up for a drysuit course with my local dive shop, and I liked the rental suit and undergarment they provided, so after the course I asked if I could buy them. The shop gave me a good price, I had them add some pockets, and I've been quite happy with it ever since. At first I thought the integrated boots that came with it weren't ideal and I might replace them eventually, but I've changed my mind and I like them now. So that might be one hidden benefit of taking the course--getting to try out a rental suit and discovering what you like and dislike before you buy your own. (You may be surprised to find that an off-the-rack suit actually does fit, and you may decide to go up or down in undergarment thickness.) It'll also give you the necessary credentials to rent a drysuit if you travel and don't want to bring yours, or if you want to dive while your suit is being repaired.

One thing to consider in choosing a brand is how easy it will be to get that suit repaired, or get parts replaced. I live near DUI headquarters, so that's really convenient for me, but maybe less of a selling point for you. Ask around to find out what your local options are. It might also be worth considering what other local divers in your circle use. I've torn a wrist seal on a boat and been helped out by another DUI customer with a spare, and on another occasion I was able to pay it forward when I had the spare and someone else ripped their seal. Inflator hoses are often but not always compatible across different brands; it's been nice to help and be helped with that too.

So that might be one hidden benefit of taking the course--getting to try out a rental suit and discovering what you like and dislike before you buy your own.

Exactly why I went uncompressed neoprene.
After diving trilam’s and vikings...getting into that thing was a revelation. The squeeze on them is really soft, on the boots there’s none. Loads of flex. Perfect.

I ordered my suit from Bare, Trilam Tech Dry; I added options I wanted, extra big pocket, P-valve, user replacable wrist seals with Si Tech dry glove rings. My 2 biggest mistakes, not custom sizing and not putting a user replacable neck seal on it. Loved the tech boot option, but wore a hole in them after 250 shore dives. Lots of rocks where I dive. My next suit, I would also put 2 pockets on it.

Back
Top Bottom