Choosing a Drysuit and Finding the Right Fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thomas Fair

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm sure this has been talked about many times before, but I would really like to compile some information before I go out and drop 2-3k on a drysuit. I am currently looking for a drysuit of moderate price but I really don't know anything about them. I am someone who is big and tall ( 350 - 6'4") so that is something to always consider. I also don't know the difference in the materials used ie. latex, silicone, neoprene. Finally what should I be looking for specifically as someone going into tech diving soon and living somewhere with moderate temperatures so not super cold. Should I go custom? Is there a brand people prefer? Please send me whatever you have experienced so I can get a good idea.

It kinda has been beaten to death - but yeah - tons of info on this forum about drysuits. You can/ will fall down a rabbit hole of info. Seriously.

I always remind divers that if you haven't done a test pool dive on the suit - you absolutely will need to. You're going to be custom size...guaranteed. The air bubble in your BC that you've been managing during your diving - just became much larger - not the whole suit is the bubble. So there's a re-learn of sorts coming your way.

And don't skimp on the undergarment- because that is the part that keeps you warm. In most cases - the drysuit doesn't keep you warm at all - it just keeps you dry.

And yeah, welcome to the club ! You will very likely never go back to wetsuit diving now.

Thanks I will check out that thread, should I take a dry suit class or should I just practice a whole bunch in shallow water after I get one?

Thanks I will check out that thread, should I take a dry suit class or should I just practice a whole bunch in shallow water after I get one?
Agree with the previous statements about custom suits. I am short and wide, so off the rack never fits me.
I think that a formal dry suit class, with a good instructor, is well worth it. Not for the cert card, but going from wet suit to dry suit is a different experience. A good instructor will get you comfortable in the suit and provide good safety information.

True- a pool session will show you how to get out of say, being inverted, or how to quickly uncouple a stuck inflator valve. And just managing the air in the suit over all. You end up making a chicken wing w/ your left arm to dump air.

I used to enjoy those drysuit demo pool sessions - as a divemaster it's like an hour of your time and you get to witness the student having their eyes opened a bit - like - " Hey ! wait a tic, now I can dive all kinds of environments - I'm not limited in diving tropical waters only now. Actually enjoy diving Puget Sound w/o the whole bummer hypothermia thang ? "

I can say I don't know one single diver who's ever gone back to wetsuits.
Aside from those who move to the tropics, that is.

Let us know which suit you decide to go with!

Most people want a custom suit, or at least alterations to an off-the-shelf suit. Which implies that used suits won't fit either, unfortunately. There are many popular brands in the $2k - $3k range. A SeaSkin trilam with all the bells and whistles runs about $1500, which is what I went with after reading stuartv's long and incredibly helpful review thread. The compressed neoprene suits have good reviews as well, and are a bit cheaper, but I haven't dived them myself. If you do go for a trilam, make sure it has a telescoping torso.

Understand that whatever actual suit you purchase, you're going to spend another few hundred bucks on a base layer and the undies. Don't skimp there, good undies are very important, so buy once and cry once.

If you intend to dive below, say, 50F, get a dryglove system. But if that's not in the near-term, you can skip it -- they aren't needed for moderate temps, and can be added later. Skip any extra "relief" zippers in the groin area and just go for a P-valve, it's a life changer. May sound scary at first, but you'll get over it, and the alternatives are pretty bad.

Edit to add: I have never taken a drysuit course, I just taught myself. That worked well for me, but others who have taken the course usually state that it was worthwhile for them.

To answer your original question. There are two main types of drysuit materials:

1. Trilaminate - basically a waterproof bag. The warmth all comes from the undergarments you wear, so it is very scalable to your diving.

2. Neoprene - Neoprene suits add some warmth without the use of undergarments but have compression in the neoprene (just like a wetsuit) that shifts your buoyancy as you ascent/descent. There are also compressed neoprene suits that push the air bubbles out of the suit and reduce the buoyancy shift. The most compressed one is the DUI CF200.

Both suits can be fitted with Latex, Neoprene, or Silicone Neck and Wrist seals. Latex is probably the most common, with some choosing silicone, which is more comfortable, but less durable. Others like neoprene seals, which add some warmth but are bulkier.

Both can also be fitted with either a front zipper or a back zipper. Front Zippers are much easier to self don without assistance from others.

Some brands to consider: 1. DUI, 2. Santi, 3. URSUIT, 4. Avatar (Santi's low cost brand), 5. Pinnacle, 6. Seaskin. 7. Bare, 8. Deep 6 Gear (rebranded URSUIT), may be others.

Consider undergarments in the cost of the Drysuit, they can get expsnive for thick undergarments. If you are doing warm water dives (72 deg and above) it is much easier.

You can learn to drysuit dive without a class (I did) but your learning will be sped along if you either take a class or have an experienced buddy to help guide you. The most important things to learn are 1. Maintaining Buoyancy by adding and venting air. 2. Emergency Procedures, 3. Maintenance and Care.

I don't know if you can get O'Three drysuits in USA but it's worth looking into. UK company. I've got one. Love it. Great company to deal with too.

I can say I don't know one single diver who's ever gone back to wetsuits.
Aside from those who move to the tropics, that is.
I love my drysuit as I just posted. But I've got a custom wetsuit from O'Three too and I love that more. As soon as the water is over 15c I'm back in my wetsuit. It's not the same if I'm not actually getting wet somehow.
Also, if you dive a lot and can switch back in the warmer months it saves wear and tear on the more expensive of the two. Wetsuits are easier to fix etc etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom