Choosing a BC with enough lift capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm trying to find a BC that has enough lift capacity. Most of the BC that I've seen only have 24 to 44 pounds a lift. I weigh 220 pounds and most of my dives are done in Lake Superior. I have used and really liked the zeagle ranger, but it only has 44 pounds of lift. Any advice would be greatly appreciated it choosing a BC.
I agree with the responses about 44 lbs being, relatively, a lot of lift. But, perhaps, we should be asking, why do you believe you need more than that? Have you found that, in fresh water with a Ranger, you need more lift for instance? It might be presumptuous of us to assume that 44 lbs is enough, without knowing a little more about your diving configuration (beyond you initial comment about cold, fresh water).

I agree with the responses about 44 lbs being, relatively, a lot of lift. But, perhaps, we should be asking, why do you believe you need more than that? Have you found that, in fresh water with a Ranger, you need more lift for instance? It might be presumptuous of us to assume that 44 lbs is enough, without knowing a little more about your diving configuration (beyond you initial comment about cold, fresh water).

Unless you're diving double tanks or more, a 44lbs wing is pretty darn big regardless of body build, etc. If you have to wear so much lead that a 44lbs wing isn't enough to float your rig with a full tank then something is seriously wrong.

Somehow I don't think the OP is diving in a 3mm in Lake Superior, unless it is a core warmer under a 7MM:D

Do realize that---but he's diving a 44 lb wing, right?...that's almost twice as big....

again--he's got options...But like everything else, he's not gunna solve his 'problem' here on a keyboard....

Colliam7:
Unless you're diving double tanks or more, a 44lbs wing is pretty darn big regardless of body build, etc. If you have to wear so much lead that a 44lbs wing isn't enough to float your rig with a full tank then something is seriously wrong.
Fully agree. My point, to the OP, was that it would probably help us in our responses if we understood why the OP believes that more lift is needed.

I'm trying to find a BC that has enough lift capacity. Most of the BC that I've seen only have 24 to 44 pounds a lift. I weigh 220 pounds and most of my dives are done in Lake Superior. I have used and really liked the zeagle ranger, but it only has 44 pounds of lift. Any advice would be greatly appreciated it choosing a BC.

How much lift do you need, and how do you calculate that?

When I was certified they told me take 10% of your weight, which would be the amount of ballistics you would need and add some depending on salt water or fresh water. I guess I will have to just use trial and error. My dives will be with a 7mm wet suit and single tank. Thanks again for answering my newbie questions.

10% is a book starting point.:D 20#:shakehead:

you should know if your body floats or not without a suit?

I am 205 with a 7mm I dive with about 8# and a 22# wing. however I sink in my birthday suit, my regs are on the heavy side, and I do not have a lot of trapped air pockets.

When I was certified they told me take 10% of your weight, which would be the amount of ballistics you would need and add some depending on salt water or fresh water. I guess I will have to just use trial and error. My dives will be with a 7mm wet suit and single tank. Thanks again for answering my newbie questions.
The "10% of your weight" rule of thumb probably only works under certain kinds of conditions (with 5-7mm wetsuit?).

Your weighting is really determined by a combination of factors: your own inherent buoyancy, the positive buoyancy of your exposure protection, the inherent buoyancy of your BCD/other gear, the type of tank you're using, and the density of the water (salt vs. fresh water).

That rule of thumb loses relevance once you actually perform a weight check.

The amount of total lead that a diver uses is not the only number used to calculate the required lift for a BCD/wing. I don't recall my instructor teaching me this in basic OW class, so don't feel bad if you never learned this before.

The rules of thumb they sometimes mention in some OW classes are grossly over simplified and are easy to misapply. Diving is a life long learning curve with many variables, that is what makes it an enjoyable sport for us. Dive safe, ask questions and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom