Choosing a BC with enough lift capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afslick

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm trying to find a BC that has enough lift capacity. Most of the BC that I've seen only have 24 to 44 pounds a lift. I weigh 220 pounds and most of my dives are done in Lake Superior. I have used and really liked the zeagle ranger, but it only has 44 pounds of lift. Any advice would be greatly appreciated it choosing a BC.

44 lbs is a significant amount of lift......

I use 36 lbs for my single tank cold water rig that I use when I dive my drysuit.....

I carry a HID can light, and use LP95 steel tanks.......

SB is a great source of info.....:wink:

If you post your gear, ballast needs, etc.....I am sure folks can help calculate how much lift you need....

Hope this helps.......M

I'll be the 1st to say it--get a BP/W with a 60+ lb wing.....like this one:

Dive-Rite Classic wings (60 Lbs. lift)
:rofl3:

As has already been mentioned, in most cases for single tank diving, 44 lbs. of lift is waaaay more than enough.
I have a 30 lb. lift wing for my single tank drysuit diving. If I wanted to, I could probably go down to a 26 lb. lift wing.

FYI, lift capacity is not determined by how big you are or how much you weigh. It has to do with the buoyancy of your exposure protection, the kind of tank you're using, and how your ballast is distributed (on the diver vs. on the rig).

The wing needs to do the greater of: (a) able to float the rig at the surface (without you in it) or (b) able to compensate for maximal loss of buoyancy of your exposure protection at depth.

Based on these criteria, 44 lbs. of lift is probably overkill for most people. For instructors and DMs who might carry some extra weight to give to a student/customer who is under-weighted, it might make more sense to have a BCD with a little more lift than necessary.

Most of these are interchangeable on the Ranger: Optional Bladders - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

If you're buying from Scuba Sciences, they'll credit you the 44# wing cost against a different one - at least they did 4 me when I bought the 65# Tech wing.

I'm trying to find a BC that has enough lift capacity. Most of the BC that I've seen only have 24 to 44 pounds a lift. I weigh 220 pounds and most of my dives are done in Lake Superior. I have used and really liked the zeagle ranger, but it only has 44 pounds of lift. Any advice would be greatly appreciated it choosing a BC.

"Only" 44-lbs of lift?

That's a lot of lift!!!

I also weigh 220lbs and dive cold (fresh and s/w). I think once you dial in your weight you will find 44lbs of lift in the ranger is more than enough. Obviously configuration play a major role in how much lift you really need, but the trend for most single tank divers buying their 2nd and 3rd system is to use smaller, more streamlined bladders (30-40lbs) rather than larger. The exception would be double steel tanks, but the opens up another can of worms.:D

8 min for a BP/W recommendation.......:D

WOW.......

M

would have been sooner--but I had a bathroom call---IYKWIM.....:D

and I agree, 44 lbs should be a lot of lift for OP....my 24 lb Scout floats me & a 3 mm suit & a 120 just fine....

would have been sooner--but I had a bathroom call---IYKWIM.....:D

and I agree, 44 lbs should be a lot of lift for OP....my 24 lb Scout floats me & a 3 mm suit & a 120 just fine....

Somehow I don't think the OP is diving in a 3mm in Lake Superior, unless it is a core warmer under a 7MM:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom