Choice of regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IvanM

Registered
Reaction score
OK, time for a regulator choice…unfortunately my choices are limited to what I can get in my country, so here it is:

1. Mares V32 proton ice with proton ice octopus
2. Scubapro MK25af with S550 or S600, and R390 octopus
3. Apex ATX 200 with octopus ATX 40

Use would be moderate and warm salt water, cold and moderate lakes…
Not sure I need nitrox, not easy to get here and so far I had 70 great dives with rental regs on air with no problems…

Any input welcome…

A Scubapro Mk 17 would be a better choice for water colder than about 45 degrees than the Mk 25. I have parked my Mk 20's in favor of Mk 17's as it is an exceptional regulator. You could get the Mk 17 with either the S600 or S550 with an R390 octo.

never tried the at200, but a lot of people here say the atx50 breathes just as well..if you can get that you may be able to save a few bucks

I think that the ATX200 would be your best bet, as the environmental seal doubles its purpose for you. It protects against salt corrosion (very hard on regs) and also protects against freeze up. Apeks is worl renouned and the particular construction of this reg will best benefit you.

Apex's is a uk reg. so the parts will be esay to get.
i have the ATX50 and its great. the apex 200 i never tried it but heard its very nice.

Is there any real difference between the atx50, atx100 & atx200? I have heard a few people say there isnt.. what do you think?

Well, I currently own two of the three setups you mentioned. I have a Proton Ice/V32 with a Proton Ice octo setup. It breathes very well at any depth you'd want to go to. My daughter liked it so much that I bought her the same setup (we traded off the regs on various dives and concluded the Ice breathes easier). The octo breathes exactly the same as the Ice second stage (it should, they're the same piece, sans the serial number (IO instead of PI) and the yellow cover). No external adjustments, but I've never felt the need-it breathes great as-is.
I also have an Apeks ATX200 with an ATX50 octo. The difference in breathing is very slight (if at all) between the 50 and 200, and both breathe very good, too. They both have external knobs, if you're into that kind of stuff. More tech divers choose the Apeks regs, FWIW.
Personally I'd give the nod to the Proton Ice setup for ease of breathing and the mouthpiece, but YMMV. It is the one that ends up in my dive bag more often than not. My Micra Adjustable has been relegated to 3rd string status now.
No manufacturer sells junk these days, and any of the three you mentioned are top of the line stuff. Go with whatever you can get serviced locally by someone you trust.

I dive with a mares regulator in both and cold water including fresh and salt water on a regular basis and have never been dissapointed with with it.

the dst first stage is enviromentally sealed as well, you can get the atx50 with that

Back
Top Bottom