Choice of regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any of those regs would make you happy for the dives you have described.
It boiles down to personal preference, cost of regs and ease and cost of servicing. :wink:

lissette:
Is there any real difference between the atx50, atx100 & atx200? I have heard a few people say there isnt.. what do you think?

After looking at the exploded parts diagrams in the service manuals and comparing the part numbers for the different regulators I think they are all the same.

The (A)TX40 second stage is the basic model. (A)TX50 adds a knob for the cracking pressure. (A)TX100 and ATX200 has more fins on the heat exchanger, but apart from that they are identical to (A)TX50.

The DS4 first stage is again the basic model, and the DST adds a swivel on the medium pressure ports (these two first stages are supplied with the ATX40 and ATX50). The FST first stage (supplied with ATX100) has a new body with altered attachment for the medium pressure hoses, but the internal parts are identical. The FSR first stage (supplied with ATX200) has again a new hosing, and also adds a removable high pressure valve seat. Apart from that, the internal parts are identical.

I've been down to below 100' in 40 degree water with the Proton Ice and it was rock solid.

All the regs you listed are great regs, so I don't think you can go wrong. As previously mentioned, make sure you check for service locations in your area before you buy. Which line does your LDS carry?

Good luck!

IvanM:
OK, time for a regulator choice…unfortunately my choices are limited to what I can get in my country, so here it is:

1. Mares V32 proton ice with proton ice octopus
2. Scubapro MK25af with S550 or S600, and R390 octopus
3. Apex ATX 200 with octopus ATX 40
I have a couple of those 200's and they are by far the best reg I've ever used.

I use an FSR/ATX200 and a MK20/S600/R390—both are great. If I had to buy Scubapro now, I’d go with a MK25/G250 (which my gf uses).

The MK20/MK25 is great for recreational diving (in warm water) as the hose routing option is perfect for single tank. I’d go with the FSR/ATX200 for colder water (FSR is environmentally sealed) and doubles (FSR is very compact and has no turret).

My choice on your list would be for the Apeks, though a TX50/DS4 combo would allow you to ''upgrade'' the octo to a 50 series (because of $$ savings).
Being able to "de-tune" and fine tune the octo by hand can come in handy, especially for folks that like to tweak things, or just want the ability to dial in the breathing characteristics just the way you want/like them.

IvanM:
OK, time for a regulator choice…unfortunately my choices are limited to what I can get in my country, so here it is:

1. Mares V32 proton ice with proton ice octopus
2. Scubapro MK25af with S550 or S600, and R390 octopus
3. Apex ATX 200 with octopus ATX 40

Use would be moderate and warm salt water, cold and moderate lakes…
Not sure I need nitrox, not easy to get here and so far I had 70 great dives with rental regs on air with no problems…

Any input welcome…
my father, brothers, and i have all recently been certified, and have purchased the essentials. my father bought the S600 while i bought the atomic B2. so far we have both enjoyed are regulatos, and have not hadany trouble with them so far. i know that the small trial run we have put them through would not be considered an adequate one, but so far so good. i have read a lot about the scubapro S600, and haven't read anything bad about it. i like the the predive,dive swicth that the S600 features, and it is clearly marked. the switch for the dive, predive switch is also fairly large and easy to turn with gloves on. so all in all i would go with the scubapro S600

I'll second, third, and fourth the above comments. All of the regs you listed are top knotch.

Personally, I dive an ATX 200 w/ fst first as primary and an ATX 50 w/ DS4 first as secondary (on doubles). Use ATX 50's w/ DS4 firsts on stage and deco bottles. Breathing difference between the ATX 200 and ATX 50 is almost imperceptable. If you have the money go for the ATX 200. If not, go for the ATX50 - either way, you will not be disappointed...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom