children under 15 and nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has there been any new information to support or refute the effects of either increase N2 or O2 in "pediatric divers"?
None that I have heard of.

Diving is a dangerous sport. With an understanding of its limitations nitrox can reduce that danger. Why deny youngsters the added safety that nitrox can provide.
IF we allow young people to dive (which is the real debate here) we should allow them to use all the safeguards available.

We routinely treat pediatric patients with 100% O2 at 60 feet in the hyperbaric chamber without ill effect. I posed the question to one of our pediatric pulmonologists, who in turn asked more pediatric pulmonologists, one of whom answered and said that there's no evidence that nitrox would harm an otherwise healthy young (>10 y.o.) diver.

Best regards,
DDM

We routinely treat pediatric patients with 100% O2 at 60 feet in the hyperbaric chamber without ill effect. I posed the question to one of our pediatric pulmonologists, who in turn asked more pediatric pulmonologists, one of whom answered and said that there's no evidence that nitrox would harm an otherwise healthy young (>10 y.o.) diver.

Best regards,
DDM

Great response. Thank you sir.

@Duke Dive Medicine , where do you think the hesitation to allow youngsters to dive nitrox came from originally?

Good thing I made my 132' open water dive as a 13 year old before we got all overly protective.

I also think that Nitrox should in the basic course and air should be in an advanced course relative to the safety aspects. Especially since they currently limit divers to modest depths until they obtain advanced certifications. There is no need for air until you go deeper than 32.5 Nitrox limits. It greatly diminishes the chances of getting narked.

@Duke Dive Medicine , where do you think the hesitation to allow youngsters to dive nitrox came from originally?

I didn't know there was a hesitation, but if there is one, it may come from the idea that oxygen could interfere with alveolar formation in a young person whose lungs are not fully developed. There's also a lot of literature on the potential negative effects of high oxygen concentrations on neonates; the stigma of that could have drifted over onto nitrox and kids. Just a guess.

Best regards,
DDM

Sounds oddly similar to the arguments against voodoo gas useage by recreational divers back in the day. Arbitrary age limits are a tradition, so I wouldn't expect a change soon. My personal opinion is that is no real downside to waiting, other than the annoyance. Patience, I've heard, is also a sign of maturity.

Bob

RAID Nitrox course student prerequisites:
Student Prerequisites
  1. To be certified as a RAID Open Water 20 diver or equivalent

2. To be 12 years of age.

3. To complete the course within 6 months.
and they can also get:
  1. Junior Explorer 30; certification entitles the holder to dive in similar or better conditions without Instructor or Divemaster supervision to a maximum depth 21m/70ft with a certified adult as a buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom