Chicken or the egg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...the <$50 annually for DAN membership could be viewed as a relatively trivial, but incredibly valuable, investment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but becoming a DAN "member" does not get you insurance ... that cost is over and above the membership cost.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but becoming a DAN "member" does not get you insurance ... that cost is over and above the membership cost.

Yup, but the membership is $35 and the middle plan is another $35. so even for $70 a year, it's not a bad deal. it's quite a good deal actually.

Do an AOW course....?

I am currently working on my NAUI Master Diver. However, the quarry that is local to our area is only 75'. Rawlings is only 60-70'. I haven't been anywhere that I can get over 100'. As far as comfort level, I don't think I would have any problems, but their literature seemed somewhat limiting.

As others have posted, the insurance doesn't seem that high. I had heard from DI's that their insurance was through the roof, but didn't consider the fact that there may be different levels. I was thinking it was one insurance -- dive insurance. You know what ASSUME means, right?:D

Go east untill you find te big salty thing. 100fsw+ no problem.
Eric

I am currently working on my NAUI Master Diver. However, the quarry that is local to our area is only 75'.
Out of curiousity, which quarry do you use when diving in the C'ville area, if not Rawlings?
I haven't been anywhere that I can get over 100'. As far as comfort level, I don't think I would have any problems, but their literature seemed somewhat limiting.
The website possibly creates a bit of a misimpression. Yes, as mentioned, they do want to be sure that divers have the background to safely conduct an ocean dive, at depth, with the possibility of some current, and visibility that can be fantatsic or lousy. Given your experience overall, I suggest you book a coastal charter with Discovery or Olympus later this spring. Plan on two days of diving. There is a lot to see off the NC coast in in the 80-115' range, and I doubt that depth, per se, will be an issue. It will probably be a lot warmer, and have better visibility, than Rawlings at the deep hole, as well.
As others have posted, the insurance doesn't seem that high. I had heard from DI's that their insurance was through the roof, but didn't consider the fact that there may be different levels. I was thinking it was one insurance -- dive insurance. You know what ASSUME means, right?:D
That is correct. Insurance to take care of you, if you have a dive-related incident requiring attention, and professional liability insurance for instructors, are two different things, and involve two very different price schedules.

Out of curiousity, which quarry do you use when diving in the C'ville area, if not Rawlings?

We use a private quarry in Nelson county. It is about 75' at its deepest point.

OP-"how do you get the experience?".....Go to the Caribbean 1st--you'll get plenty in then.........:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom