Chicken or egg...doubles or class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I wanted to learn to dive doubles here's what I'd do:

First I'd buy my own set of the appropriate tanks, BP&W, etc.; for me that would be doubles 80s (DIR for non-cave). I'd get a couple dozen dives in to get a feel for them, take care of weighting issues, get trimmed out, practice valve manipulation, etc. Then I'd take a DIR-F class (You could take something else, if you prefer. That's just what I'd do.) to get an instructor's opinion and assistance with any issues diving them, learn to do a proper valve drill and flowcheck so I don't develop any bad habits, and for the other material in DIR-F. Then I'd go out and dive them a few dozen times until my trim, weighting, buoyancy, etc. is spot on and I'm comfortable doing valve drills.

Then I'd take a RecTriox course (insert equivalent), which is designed to introduce valve/manifold failures and the proper DIR procedure for dealing with them. This is the most important part of diving doubles, IMO. A manifold can get you in a lot of trouble if you take the shotgun approach to dealing with drills and real failures.

Then I'd take Cave1/Tech1/whatever if that was my goal.

Whatever you do, learn to do an proper flowcheck and valve drill and how to handle failures intelligently.

Sounds like a sensible approach Munin.

Keep in mind you can always use the tanks as independent singles if the need arises.

I would go find some people that do that type of diving and make them your permanent buddies. I have found that in everything I do it does not pay to play with people your own skill level or lower. Not that you shouldn't dive with people that fit that category, but you will progress a lot more as a diver if you dive with people better/more experienced than you that are doing the types of diving you want to progress into.

I have found this works for every sport I do...diving, mountain biking, snowboarding, etc.. Diving/riding with people better than me, although somewhat humbling, does wonders to improve your own expertise and will keep you pushing yourself.

Take a snowboarding parallel...if you ride with someone less skilled than you, you will probably be content to putter around on the greens with them and eventually make it to some blues. Maybe you will even progress beyond that in a couple seasons. But, go ride with your friend who is really good, let's call him Jeff. Then you will be like, "Man...I really wish I could ride double blacks like Jeff..." And Jeff will be like, "dude, you could totally ride at least a black", etc. Before you know it, you are on those double blacks and there's no stopping you.

MechDiver once bubbled...

You being in the Fundamentals and all, they probably didn't want to hurt your feelings. Once you get into the *real* stuff, they'll most likely get you squared away.

Have a good day.
No doubt on the second point. But it seems whatever mistakes I made in learning to use doubles alone were insignificant enough to ignore until the *real* training begins. That's kinda what this thread was originally about, right?

I don't mean to come across as a newbie know-it-all. Sorry if I did.

MechDiver once bubbled...

I'm evidently not getting my point across. IF the purpose of the class is to teach you how to use some type of equipment, then what would be the purpose of making a substantial equipment purchase beforehand, that may or may not be correct (someone said stroke), so you can "practice" :confused:

Sure you can read up on what the class offers, what is expected, and what you want to get out of it, but spending upwards of $1500 on gear you may never use again doesn't make sense to me. (Cheap because I already had reg, bp)

MD

It would not be prudent to purchase equipment for a class if you haven't consulted with the instructor first. However, that's a given in my book.

vodolaz once bubbled...
No doubt on the second point. But it seems whatever mistakes I made in learning to use doubles alone were insignificant enough to ignore until the *real* training begins. That's kinda what this thread was originally about, right?

I don't mean to come across as a newbie know-it-all. Sorry if I did.

I *should* have used a "tongue in cheek" symbol (do we have that??) after my post. I had no intentions to label you as anything.

You guys are way too serious about this stuff sometimes.

MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom