Checkout dives are in Panama City Beach next weekend. Advice for a newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got my card! I ended up at Vortex Springs and the Scubapro 5 mm was warm enough. I also got a Scubapro hat that just covers the skull and it worked very well.

The skills all went well. My dive instructor did a great job and was patient and thorough. I learned a couple of things from him that were new to me like the NAUI skill of helping a diver on their back on the bottom. The taking off the gear in the water went much better during these dives than in the pool several weeks ago. This BCD fit better and I had done it before, so it went smoothly.

It was a great experience and I look forward to diving all of the wrecks in PCB and the bridge spans in the future. Hopefully when the water is warmer. Seriously though, the water temperature ended up not being a big deal at all. The appropriate gear made all of the difference.

Oh, I had an equalization problem on my very last dive. I think I blew to hard, which I completely knew I shouldn't do. It's much better now but my newbie mistake kept me out of the water Sunday when that shop was doing a boat dive. This makes it a lesson that I won't forget.

Thanks for everyone's good advice and encouragement!
Great news.

With regards to the equalization problem - the biggest tip I can give is to make sure you always equalise early and often (before you feel the pressure build up). If you wait until you feel a lot of pressure or any pain, you have waited way too long. I personally would rather equalise twice as much as other people than to have any pain or problems with it.

Great news.

With regards to the equalization problem - the biggest tip I can give is to make sure you always equalise early and often (before you feel the pressure build up). If you wait until you feel a lot of pressure or any pain, you have waited way too long. I personally would rather equalise twice as much as other people than to have any pain or problems with it.
You are absolutely right, Neilwood. I will neither descend or ascend impatiently in the future and I will equalize more frequently to avoid discomfort or injuries.

Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom