Checking your own tank valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the responses. The DM who told me this was on a boat here in CA, when I had my own gear and tank. So there wasn't a reason for him to assume there was a problem with the O-ring. Strange. But it's good to know that there's no mechanical reason not to turn my air one right before I gear up. It'll save me from either having to do contortionist moves to turn it on afterwards (cold water CA diving means 7-mil wetsuits, not the most flexible outerwear doncha know) or relying on someone else.

I'm a stong believer that every diver (single tank or doubles...) should be able to reach their valve(s) and should do a check on the surface before every dive. If you can't reach your valves, it may be a technique thing...

Absolutely! I know of many divers whose valves are so far below their reach that they need a buddy to check it. I can reach back with my left hand and lift my tank and check the valve with my right hand. I have often jumped in the water and found my valve half closed after the supposed valve check before jumping off. This is one thing that is nice to have within reach.

Thanks for the responses. The DM who told me this was on a boat here in CA, when I had my own gear and tank. So there wasn't a reason for him to assume there was a problem with the O-ring. Strange. But it's good to know that there's no mechanical reason not to turn my air one right before I gear up. It'll save me from either having to do contortionist moves to turn it on afterwards (cold water CA diving means 7-mil wetsuits, not the most flexible outerwear doncha know) or relying on someone else.

I'd still check it. They're sneaky bastards. :D

Terry

When I set my gear up I fully open the tank valve, check the SPG and test both regs and the LP inflate. I then turn the tank valve off and bleed off gas to 50 Bar on the SPG.
I think it is better not to leave the tank open especilly, if as is common where I boat dive, that the kit is assembled before the boat sails and is left un-attended for some time. I have seen divers arrive at the dive site having lost most of their gas before arrival at the dive site.
Just before I put my kit on I check the SPG (if it has fallen sinificantly this alerts me to check for a slow leak) and then fully open the tank valve. I prefer DMs not to touch my valves (on a twin set its a real no-no) but, if they do, I ask them to leave it fully open. (I always take three very powerful breaths to test the system before I get in the water.)
By depressurising the system to 50 bar after turning the valve off I give myself a clear visual indicator that I dont have gas should I forget to turn the valve back on which would be picked up at even the most cursory of buddy checks.

In the movie Stripes, someone says something like, "Now any of you touch me…and I'll kill ya."

I say, "Touch my valves, I'll kill ya."

In the movie Stripes, someone says something like, "Now any of you touch me…and I'll kill ya."

I just hope you are nothing like the character in the movie that said that...:wink:

I do understand that, but most boats have a guy whose job it is to check valve. And on some boat, the operator will probably not let you dive if you refuse to let his highly qualified person verify that you valve is open before you jump.

It is so easy to check that it is OK that it's just not worth it for me to make an issue over touching my gear. I always turn my valve on just before I don my BCD and take a couple test breaths as I watch the SPG just before I jump.

It's a good idea to periodically check your valves every 5-10 minutes during the dive. Sweep through them all and make sure they're all properly on or off. The more cylinders and more valves you have, the more important the task.

I always ask the crew very politely not to mess with my gear. I've seen too many people leap off the boat with their valve turned only a quarter of the way on. A diver may open their tank valve all the way, only for a well-meaning crew member to turn it off (then open it a quarter), without either of the parties knowing, so I just err on the side of caution and tell the crew they don't have to worry about fussing over me.

I was taught to always take a few breaths from my second stages prior to entering the water while watching my pressure gauge. If the needle leaps up and down, your valve isn't open all the way. Quick and easy to check.

I do understand that, but most boats have a guy whose job it is to check valve. And on some boat, the operator will probably not let you dive if you refuse to let his highly qualified person verify that you valve is open before you jump.

Heh heh...I'll never forget my fiance and me's first experience with a certain dive operation here on Oahu. Rog is a fairly seasoned Northeast wreck diver and a fully certified cave diver, and to say he is particular about his gear is the understatement of the millenium. Anyway, on this dive, Rog was preparing to enter the water (after both he and I had verified his air was on), but was stopped by a crew member who proceeded to lean over him and start twiddling his tank valve.
"Is your air on?" he demanded.
"I don't know...now" said, Rog, trying to smile politely.
"Well, that's not good enough, is it?", the crew member snapped.
"It WAS on", said Rog, still trying to smile gamely, "but since you've been fiddling with the valve, I'm not sure now".
Crew member storms off, mumbling to himself. I'm fairly sure I heard the word, "A**hole". We never did dive with them again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom