Checked or carryon video equipment

Do you carry on video equipment or check it?

• Check everything using a Pelican or similiar hard case

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carry all or some on board

Votes: 13 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My new Ocean Images housing and RB75 lights are not only very heavy, but bulky. I can't think of any case that will fit everything and be small enough for my most restrictive carryon limit ( 10x14x22 inches).

How many of you check your housing and light systems? I assume if I did this that I would carry on the camcorder as that is more fragile and easily stolen.

What size pelican case have you found to fit everything? The 1610?
I'm not worried about it getting lost, I have a direct flight.

Ideas?

Edit: I already have a carryon bag with just the regulators (long hoses) and canister lights. There are 2 of us.

I have the 1610, I think it will meet your needs I have a sony MPK housing what is very bulky but can fitt very well.
Paul

Housing, camcorder, and light lamps come with me on the plane. Light batteries get checked. If I have room, I also carry-on my regs. I use bathing suits, underwear and t-shirts for padding.

Most airlines allow a carry-on, sized as you listed, plus a "personal" bag. For me, this is usually a back pack.

I only carry my cameras, regulators and computers on-board. Everything else is well packed in my check-in luggage. I have several smaller UK cases I place stuff in, and I pack clothes around these cases. I do include several pictures so TSA can put things back as they should. The pictures also help me remember how to pack when I leave the liveaboard. :)

I'm having trouble fitting the video housing and lights in a bag small enough for carry on. I'm thinking that I am going to have to put them in a steal-me case and check them.

scubadrewvideo:
Also...Airport screeners don't like the Ocean Images RB-75 battery pack...looks mighty suspicious.
Keep housing open...the screeners also don't know how to operate the latches and your not allowed to help. Scary to watch some bumbling idiot try and open a $2000 housing.

Really? Nothing suspicious about batteries. My canister light always gets looked at but they have always recognized the battery for what it is. Even asked us to help put everything away so it didn't get damaged. Guess we've just been lucky. But it is always a concern, that's for sure.

scubadrewvideo:
Carry on = Camera (sony HC3) in camera bag and housing in Ocean Images carrying case.
Checked = RB-75 lights disassembled to fit in suitcase.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Carry on pelican case for the camera and housing and then the lights in their case as checked baggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom