Check this vintage ad out...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone remember diving without any training to 100 feet for an hour back in the day this all started?

Apparently with Aqualung’s self contained diving unit back in 1952 you could and they did. See attached advertisement.. dive to 100 feet for an hour without training and after 7 year no casualties.

Please share your stories if you started diving without training in the 40’s and 50’s and how you started.

View attachment 626574
I did my first scuba dive in 1962, without any training beyond what I read in a few books and pamphlets. I was not certified until 1972, when shops began requiring a C card to fill your tanks. The NASDS training took weeks and was quite valuable. I learned a great deal. It seems to me that a careful reading of the US Divers ad suggests that one can dive for up to an hour, and to a maximum depth of 100 feet, not that a diver can do both, can remain at 100 feet for an hour. Maybe with doubles, but not with the usual equipment back then. The ubiquitous Navy tables were quite clear back in the 50s: approximately 60 minutes at 60 feet for a ND dive.

327842069_o.jpg

Give to me, "added attractions" and "lower depths into high adventure . . ."

We had them for sale at Divers Service Center in the 70's. I did try it in a pool once. It does work.

I have one in the original box (NIB).

Thanks for the add. I don't remember seeing that add.

744064 small  .jpg

We had them for sale at Divers Service Center in the 70's. I did try it in a pool once. It does work.

I have one in the original box (NIB).

Thanks for the add. I don't remember seeing that add.

View attachment 635833
WOW! Back in my law enforcement days, I arrested someone that had a device that looked like that thing. It was used to smoke marijuana. The user put a lit joint on the holder inside of it and squeezed the bag part to drive the marijuana smoke deeper into the lungs.
What could possibly go wrong...? LOL

Knife fights and double hose regulators-I've got to watch that!

Knife fights and double hose regulators-I've got to watch that!

Don't both of us already have that combo specialty certification? :)

Back
Top Bottom