Cheaper Drysuit undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

engdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, I have been diving for the last year in a drysuit with only a sweatshirt and sweat pants for undergarments. After diving in 37 degree water I realized that I need more thermal protection. I am considering either a 300g or 200g PolarTec Fleece suit but these are fairly expensive. Being a former snowmobiler I wonder if my snowmobile suit would work OK or not. Has anyone tried these? It is not polartec but still warm. Any advise on garmet weight for temps between 37 deg and 55 degrees?

Thanks

It would probably work, but unless your dry suit is REALLY BAGGY, I think you probably will have some severe fitting issues.

Not to mention that your movement, also, likely would be very restricted.

Check out some of the catalog houses like Cabella's, etc. and see what they're selling Polar-Tec for.

the K

Check ebay often, and also the classifieds here. Good 200g or 400g thinsulate pops up a lot in the $100 or less range. Thinsulate will be warmer than any fleece suit I think.

Cheers :D

Bob3 here on the board is a Viking dealer, you might send him a PM and see if he can get anything in your size at a lower price. Personally I dive a 400g but I'm the queen of cold. The regular drysuit undies were well worth the investment for me.
Ber :lilbunny:

Thanks to all of you. Some good resources to check out.
I am a little confused between Thinsulate and PolarTec. Is one warmer or better then the other?

I don't know anything about the various suits, BUT, for the past 6+months I've been using skiing/lounging fleece as my undergarment. I always had "issues" with my dry suit not venting as well as I thought it should be.

Last week, before taking a weekend class, I bought a Mobby's fleece garment (lightweight because my suit is uncompressed neoprene). WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

I now trust my suit to vent when I want -- to be able to move the air bubble to where I want -- and I'm much warmer (using more air is part of it).

I'm convinced using an undergarment that is designed for use with a drysuit makes a huge difference.

What sort of suit are you in? (Bag or neoprene)

In my neoprene DS a BARE T-100 has been a nice rig. Fits, vents, stretch panels, fleece inside, slick shell to move in the suit and a littlle Thnsulate in between.

I was doing the sweats before and this a a good notch warmer. The T200 isn't much bulkier either.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom