Cheap watches that won't die when you scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Cheap" and "scuba" just don't go together.

Walmart sell these watches rated to 330' or a 100 meters.

They have all the functions you were looking for and I think I paid 16 bucks last year. If they take a crap no harm to foul.

I have a couple of TAGS that I used to dive with, but then I realized there is not need for something like that unless you are going really deep. Also my Citizen Aqualand Duplex ate batteries and then took a crap after about 3 years (the repair was cost was $175).

I have owned a couple of G-shocks and they have been fantastic. I got the first one around 1997 and never had to even change the battery. It was issued by good old Uncle Sam, and I would still be using it today, except the band broke and they offered me the new version rather than buy a new band. I've seen the watch in Wal Mart for around $50, but I'm sure Uncle Sam paid around $500 for it instead, because he's just that generous.

I have flown in unpressurized aircraft up to about 16,000 feet MSL and I've had it in the water down to around 100' on several occasions. I pushed the buttons at depth quite often to start timers for various reasons and I haven't had a problem with it so far.

I hope this anecdotal evidence helps you.

I have a casio that I purchased for my OW class in 1993. It is now 2008, and it is still ticking with the ORIGINAL battery!! I strapped it on to my spg console as a back up timer. My brother had one that took all kinds of abuse before he lost it.

i used to use a standard timex ($25-$30 at wal-mart) and had no problems pushing buttons underwater. it's since been replaced with a nicer, non-digital watch which i have no thoughts of ever replacing. i don't see why a new casio or timex wouldn't work fine for you.

It can, if you don't buy into the hype of overpriced gear. I'd much rather have 3 G-Shocks on me than one $200+ watch made specifically for diving.

I've heard that the Casio G-Shocks are fine as long as you don't push any of the buttons at depth.

Is this true, or urban (diving?) legend?

I wouldn't mind having one as a backup.

There are prettier & fancier ones, but no one will beat this one---for price & durability......Have used one like it since the late 80's & you won't go wrong.....It has a stop watch, countdown timer & alarm(plus 12/24 hrs & a background lite)) on it & good to 200 meters----look @ the price, under $30 to your doorstep.........btw, I've changed modes as deep as 120' many times with this model---have NEVER had a failure........

Amazon.com: Casio Men's Alarm Chronograph Sport Watch #DW290-1V: Jewelry & Watches

EDIT: for some reason this link is not working(I had copied & pasted it from a previous thread)......so click this link & scroll down to my post on that page & that link works, bottom line less than $30 delivered to your door.....http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/computers-gauges-watches-analyzers/213179-watch.html

The Armitron noted above from Walmart works well. I use mine in instruction and have had it on ~90 dives so far in a year+. I have had NO issue with it. And the <$20 I paid... I can manage that. The deepest the watch has gone is about 145 or so on a fun dive in Roatan and nothing wrong with it - pushing buttons or otherwise.

I use it in the pool and ocean so no ill effect from chlorine or salt... yet... but who cares at $20 a watch.

I love my G-Shock. Nothing fancy, cheep ($60 online), solar powered for eternal battery life, rated to 660 ft and my personal favorite feature, the back light turns on when you angle the watch towards your face. No need to push the button, great for low viz or night diving.

Originally Posted by RJP

It can, if you don't buy into the hype of overpriced gear. I'd much rather have 3 G-Shocks on me than one $200+ watch made specifically for diving.

Yeah, but unfortunately I'm a watch collector as well so I don't think "Cheap" and "Watches" go together in the first place.

As one of my watch collecting buddies says "Time is too precious to measure with a cheap watch!"

:D

You wanna see guys who are into "the hype of overpriced gear" you should stop by one of the watch collecting forums on the web. You realize that you're insane about the same time you realize that Rolex isn't a high-end watch but rather "the top of the low end."

Back
Top Bottom