Cheap watches that won't die when you scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chimchim

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not looking for a watch with any dive functions, but is water resistant enough to go scuba diving with without dying. I've had a Timex (rated to "50M") get flooded on a dive (I only go to 120'), but a Casio G-shock has worked just fine. I noticed a lot of these < $100 watches (actually looking at < $50) all say "not a diving watch" so they auto-disclaimer it away... even the "200M" ones.

I need a simple, cheap, digitial that:
- tells time
- has huge numerals
- alarm (prefer multiple)
- chrono
- count down
- hourly chime

I do not need to operate the watch underwater... just using it for knowing entry/exit time and timing 3 min safety stop. This is to be my everyday watch out of the water.

I like the Timex Ironman style, but I'm not sure if they will die going under.

The Casio G shocks hold up well and have all the functions you mention.

I"ve got one of them with the solar recharging and the waveceptor that syncs with the atomic clock every night. It was in the $80 range but knowing it has the right time and no battery changes makes it worth a few $ more.

Most of the 200 M watches should be OK- the 50 and 100 M would be a bit iffy for diving.

I've heard that the Casio G-Shocks are fine as long as you don't push any of the buttons at depth.

Is this true, or urban (diving?) legend?

I wouldn't mind having one as a backup.

I've used G-shocks for almost 15 years with no problems. As far as pushing buttons, I have started my chronos at 260' and had no button issues. It may be a problem deeper, but I used them for timing deco from my first stop, so I never pushed the buttons on the bottom.

We did have issues with our Amphibico video housings on those dives, though, at around 360'. The video housing buttons would push themselves at about that depth. I didn't have that happen with the 2 G-shocks I carried, though.

I used to use a G-Shock with no problems to 50m. Switched to a Timex Ironman 20-lap (WR to 100m) after the G-Shock plastic casing finally disinegrated after about 8 years of abuse. Have over 100 dives on it down to 40-45m or so with no problems.

Rickg

Times Ironman WR 100M. 30 lap feature nice for multiple stop times. Lasts easy 3-4 years and I rarely take it off. Couple 100 dives a year + all showers and workouts. Paid $35.00. Get it from Kmart and if it floods, they will replace it...... Hard to beat.

I've heard that the Casio G-Shocks are fine as long as you don't push any of the buttons at depth.

Is this true, or urban (diving?) legend?

I wouldn't mind having one as a backup.

I had one die on me last year after pushing buttons. Worked fine up to then.

Check out just about ant watch made by freestyle. I carry one of the classic shark watches on just anout every dive, and it only cost about 40 bucks, and its never failed me.

http://www.freestyleusa.com/products/Classic/Shark+Classic/

Thay do make others specificaly for diving, but they're a little more expensive

I second the G-shock and Ironman, but have only used the >200m ones. I have had no issues with either at recreational depths, but as the disclaimer says, don't push the buttons at depth. I will tell you that I have pushed the buttons on the Ironman on every dive because I use it to count down my safety stop. Other than that, I have occasionally pushed the other functions at various depths and have had not problems with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom