cheap undergarments for cold water diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

southjerseydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hey everyone. i am looking for a cheap deal on undergarments thatwill be warm enough to dive in water anywhere from 40-60. i dive in new jersey so anyone who dives in jersey, what do you use? please help i need some undergarments for the new 905 backzip suit i just bought

anything other then that. such as something from R.E.I or other outdoor componies

Try fleece and woolen layers, I dive with fleece pants and ex-military woolen sweater and so far its fine for Vancouver.

I use a set of these...

TILOS

They work well by themselves in temps into the low 60's to upper 50's. I'll add a layer of two piece "Rocky" polypro fleece underwear on top for water temps down to the low to mid 40's. They are available at walmart in the sporting goods section for under $30 for the set.

If you layer undergarments, be sure to arrange the first layer so you have full range of mobility (mostly ensuring their is enough fabric in the upper arm/shoulder area to allow you to reach your tank valves) then do the same with the secnd layer before putting on the dry suit. That will prevent any friction between layers from limiting mobility.

If you want a set of the Tilos that DA linked to I am looking at selling mine. Never worn, size large, $75.

I've never had an issue just diving Walmart track pants or shorts and a light fleece or T shirt in Tobermory ( coldest area I dive in summer at 38-42 F at times) but mind you, I also dive a Brooks Seal suit and they're compressed neo so there's a lot of warmth built in. I did, however use the track pants and fleece top on a dive with a borrowed Viking vulcanized up there and was glad I did. I could never bring myself around to forking out a silly sum of money for an undergarment that would just cook me otherwise in my usual suit.

Back
Top Bottom