• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Cheap PADI OW Certification

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by horn34, Jul 4, 2019.

1. horn34

horn34 Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Thanks Christi. I appreciate that and I'll pass it on. And they are locals, not ex-pats.

I just talked to a friend in Playa and it turns out her cousin owns a dive shop in Cozumel, so they may be able to get a good rate through her.

Christi likes this.
  2. Christi

Christi PADI MSDT/Dive op owner ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Not really - because it's a much more complex formula - it's not a straight forward 10%

3. BRT

BRT Giant Squid

Which would mean that the employees don't know if they are being cheated or not. Can't have it both ways.

4. eelnoraa

eelnoraa DIR Practitioner

I just can NOT believe a coz native, at DM level, can't figure out the training cost at coz, who/where offer the lowest rate, or who/where offer the best training, ... should be on his palm. If he needs to ask someone 3000miles away who may not even be in the industry, something is wrong here. The analogy would be like I am a car saleman for Ford and I want to buy a Ford SUV. I have to ask a friend in Hong Kong, whose is in finance industries to get a deal for me. Sounds crazy, right?

As for looking training, if I were to put my GF through OP so that we can dive together, I would put her through a good quality course instead of the lowest rate cost. DM should be well aware of this. If money is tight, save another month or two. But then if she can afford a set of gears, why not a proper OW class? The proper priority IMO should be good training and rental gears especially the BF is a DM working for a shop.

Brodydog and Christi like this.
  5. Scuba Scott

Scuba Scott Instructor, Scuba ScubaBoard Supporter

When I hear this question I wonder if that person will ever be able to afford actually diving after getting certified. SCUBA is not an inexpensive hobby. It can be less expensive than some other hobbies, like smoking, but you have to want it bad enough to afford it. If someone can't afford the going rate for certification then maybe they need to try something more affordable like snorkeling.
    Want a low cost solution? I offer an excellent skin diving course and it is actually the better option for many people.

6. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Actually, it's less than 1000 miles. :D

7. noj3333

noj3333 Solo Diver

Off topic I know...

@Christi this was interesting to read...

If I were you I'd add a little blurb to your website, explaining why your costs are what they are... Some consumers, me included, would rather spend their money with a moral business, then someone who's only goal is their bank account/ future/ bottom line...

If you're doing right by your employees, let people know!

Christi likes this.
  8. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Um, I'm not sure that's exactly what you meant to say... :D

noj3333 likes this.
  9. noj3333

noj3333 Solo Diver

@ggunn... you are correct, ty! :)

10. ScubaWithTurk

ScubaWithTurk Bubble Blowing Buddha

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    While I agree with most of your post, the above is just wrong. PADI standards state the following

"Student divers may participate in no more than three open water training dives in a single day, night or combination thereof."

This means the OWC can be done in two days although I prefer to teach it over the span of three days.