Cheap PADI OW Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

horn34

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a buddy that lives on Coz wanting to get his girlfriend certified. They're young and don't make much, so I figured I'd ask around for a low cost solution.

I've got a buddy that lives on Coz wanting to get his girlfriend certified. They're young and don't make much, so I figured I'd ask around for a low cost solution.

I don't know current pricing to be able to compare, but when I did my referral there many years ago the prices were about the same. One of the factors determining my choice of shop was where the OW dives were conducted. Some shops did all 4 dives from the shore, some did 2 from shore and 2 from the boat. This may or may not be a factor for your friends.

I'd check with some groups that dive socially. I know a couple ive met with have instructors. It's like learning to fly, it can be really expensiv . But if im buddies with a cfi I can get it done for just flight costs. I ended up friends with mine and if things had gone reverse order he would have trained me just for flight hours in his log book.

I wouldn't approach somebody with the "let's be friends so I can ask for freebies" mentality.

And really, I think I spent 350 on padi ow + the cost of materials and check out dives. It wasn't expensive.

Jeez.
[SARCASM] Be sure and get the cheapest training you can find because the quality doesn't matter and your life doesn't depend on it.[/SARCASM]

You’re implying that there is a direct correlation between price and quality? :poke:

You’re implying that there is a direct correlation between price and quality?

The "you get what you pay for" statement drives me NUTS and I try to ignore it entirely.

The "you get what you pay for" statement drives me NUTS and I try to ignore it entirely.
You’re implying that there is a direct correlation between price and quality? :poke:
Now that you've asked....yes, I do think there is a correlation...not perfect, but it is there, like with cars and food ub and houses and....pretty much everything. If you guys don't think so, do you subscribe to, "You don't get what you don't pay for."?

The cheapest I've found online is about $400 at 2 Tank Hostel.

And really, I think I spent 350 on padi ow + the cost of materials and check out dives. It wasn't expensive.

They live and work in Cozumel. Normal, average jobs/wages. $400 is still a lot to them.

And I don't get why it's so high in Cozumel. I can get an OW cert from a good dive shop in Austin for $325.

Now that you've asked....yes, I do think there is a correlation...not perfect, but it is there, like with cars and food ub and houses and....pretty much everything. If you guys don't think so, do you subscribe to, "You don't get what you don't pay for."?

I subscribe to "it's either good it it's not, cost is totally irrelevant". But that doesn't look good on a bumper sticker.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom