cheap halcyon gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-hh once bubbled...

And yet in over 20 years of diving with gear with plastic components, the total number of failures and breaks I've suffered add up to zero...no, wait, one: I broke off a plastic zipper tab on a ~5 seasons old 3mm SSA wetsuit in Destin, FL ~3 years ago.

Hm. Well, that surprises me. In my past 150 dives, I've probably seen someone with a broken QD or one zip-tied together around a dozen times. This includes many boat dives and more than a few trips to Ginnie and the surrounding springs.

You go pretty heavy into the plastics debate. It's not that I don't like plastic... It's that I don't like failure points. Since I've never seen webbing crack from someone placing a tank on it or stepping on it, I don't consider that an issue. QD's are another story.

It really depends on which plastic you're suggesting using. For some of them yes, and some of them no. I'm a metals traditionalist too, but when properly engineered, composite "plastics" can have superior tensile, toughness, and corrosion properties...simultaneously. For the most part, it just takes adding some chopped up glass fibers to the mix. Don't forget that we've been making gun parts out of "plastics" for decades, and there's even been composite reenforced rifle barrel that's been around for ~6 years, and its stronger and yet ~1/3rd the weight of a steel barrel.

That's another issue... QD's float... They're positively buoyant. Why wear any sort of gear that creates the need for more weight? Why... When using metal clips and connectors has exactly the opposite effect?

Sure, we're not talking much, but the point that I'm making is that there are better solutions than using QD's and other plastic components.

"Plastic" guns were designed to fool metal detectors... If there was no metal detector problem, I can assure you that the owner of the gun would prefer a metal one.

Yes, but these were "Third World" outboards that sometimes took them a half hour to get started in the morning.

...So you were diving open ocean with a boat that had questionable engines. And your solution was a QD on your harness.

The QD is merely trading-off different system risks. If you find that trade-off unacceptable, then don't make it.

...And thus ends the debate. You obviously feel strongly about QD's. I feel strongly against them. You and I have both stated our reasons, and I don't think either of us can possibly understand why the heck the other feels the way they do.

Fair enough.

In this circumstance of diving off of zodiaks with running engines, if you're not willing to dive under these conditions, then don't go to these destinations.

Well, that would be a real shame... But yes, I do require that I dive safely and that I dive on boats with a reasonable assurance that they're going to run.

The Galapagos liveaboards are one such destination. I'd suspect that Cocos is probably another, as well as any operation that is operating in remote enough areas such that they equip every diver with his own private EPRIB to carry.

Interesting.

I don't know that I'd be interested in diving with that facility. Surely there is one out there that doesn't think that a series of band-aids are as good as a real fix.

Hope you speak very fluent spanish. Its always funny hearing such a remark come from a smoker. By any chance, are you?

I was at one time. Check the archives for the smoking thread.

Regardless of whether or not I once enjoyed tobacco use, I have never enjoyed breathing petroleum products. As many can attest, a good inhilation of two stroke exhaust combined with large seas can make one ill for days. Smokers or non-smokers.

...And my spanish is fairly good. If it wasn't, I could learn the phrase, "Please shut the engines off."

Nor am I. But consider the following: if we say that the risk of bobbing on the surface is unacceptably high because of head injuries and the like, what can be done to minimize that risk?

Likewise, I consider the risk of breaking a QD unacceptably high. You see it as acceptably low. Therein lies our basic difference.

While I've seen a dozen broken QD's over my last 150 dives, I've never seen anyone "brained" by a boat... But I'm aware that it happens.

If a QD can eliminate the need for the diver to ever dunk his head (thereby temporarily blocking his surface vision) if he has to take off his gear, does this not improve his Situational Awareness?

No. Situational Awareness is independent of keeping one's head above water at all times. Does a diver - who's head is below water the entire time he's diving - have no Situational Awareness?

I think what you're implying is that a diver who ducks out of his gear is at risk of being "brained." I see that risk as one that's lower than the risk of a failed QD.

The percentages are not optimized for minimized ongassing for their designed operating depth as you would have expected, but are instead designed to match up to the "sum to 120" ongassing rule. The primary benefit of the mix is a toss-up between a reduced O2 clock (a good thing), the bragging rights of using "Mix" (a bad thing), and the extra cash that goes to the blending station for the fill (good or bad, depending on if you're the gas seller or the gas buyer).

-hh

I think you just want to debate. :)

Ok, I think the issue of QDs has pretty much taken over this thread... :lol:

Reverting back to Halcyon gear... Seajay, or anyone else who has a Halcyon BP...
Have you guys ever tried the Halcyon Life Raft thing? Not the Surf Shuttle, the full raft... folded up, does it fit in the MC Storage Pack?

SeaJay once bubbled...

You go pretty heavy into the plastics debate. It's not that I don't like plastic... It's that I don't like failure points. Since I've never seen webbing crack from someone placing a tank on it or stepping on it, I don't consider that an issue. QD's are another story.

No system is perfect. While webbing is crush-resistant, its primary vulnerability is cutting, and there have been many complaints about Halcon's BP's poor machine finishing that left burrs that have caused harness webbing cuts. The fix is to deburr the BP slots. However, the BP still has the shortcoming of putting the webbing through a very short bend radius, which is why you'll find recommendations to replace "worn out" webbing every couple of seasons.

I'm not a fan of plastics, but I've slowly grown to respect them. For example, a molded BC of course solves the tight bend radius webbing wear problem, and it also solves the nondeburred metal-on-webbing cutting problem. Only question is if its rugged enough for your "Bubba" dive buddies who tend to slam things in pickup truck tailgates because they're so careless with their gear, but I have faith :D

That's another issue... QD's float... They're positively buoyant. Why wear any sort of gear that creates the need for more weight? Why... When using metal clips and connectors has exactly the opposite effect?

Sure, we're not talking much, but the point that I'm making is that there are better solutions than using QD's and other plastic components.

First of all, not all plastics are positively bouyant. Just take a look at dive fins and you'll see that some of them float and some of them sink.

Second, the pragmatic, real-world densities for them are generally very close to water. So the bouyancy values we're talking about having to potentially correct for are almost zero, which makes it a non-issue.

Third, even if a half dozen of them added together were to add up to made for ~8 oz, do you even have a 1/2lb lead weight to add to your weightbelt to compensate for it? If not, how about a 1lb weightbelt weight? The reality here is that pragmatically, no one dives absolutely perfectly trimmed out - - its always just getting it close enough, with better divers being within +/- 1lb and no better.

Fourth, the density characteristics of plastics today are very highly tailorable. Oak Ridge National Labs has demonstrated plastic composites that had Specific Gravity values approaching 10. For reference, SG of water = 1, SG of aluminum = ~2.6; SG of steel = ~7.8; SS of lead = 11.

What this means that if a dive manufacturer was willing to make the injection mold equipment investment, we could have "plastic" BP's that don't have the current bend radius problem, that don't have the unburred edge cutting problem, that are weighted to whatever we want (including heavier than even Fred's "thick" SS BP), while all at the same size, and with superior corrosion resistance, material toughness and tensile strength values to current AL BP's. And if we all bought one, there would be adequate production volume to amortize their investment costs out and make them less expensive than today's machined SS BP's, beause they have lower production labor costs.

As I said...I'm not a fan of plastic, but I have grown to respect what "plastics" can do.

"Plastic" guns were designed to fool metal detectors... If there was no metal detector problem, I can assure you that the owner of the gun would prefer a metal one.

You're free to go debate this with a couple million Glock owners on the Internet. :D Meantime, the US Military is highly interested in them because of three simple words: "Lighten the Load". If these materials can withstand the performance requirements of militarized systems, they'll be more than good enough for recreational civilian needs...note that there have been "plastics" used on the M16 rifle since before you were born.

Yes, but these were "Third World" outboards that sometimes took them a half hour to get started in the morning.

...So you were diving open ocean with a boat that had questionable engines. And your solution was a QD on your harness.

Not quite. The solution was to accept their SOP for water exit. I had the choice of using a QD or not, and I found that using a QD made this less-than-desirable SOP safer, because of improved diver visibility (and thus SA) of the at-surface environment.

FWIW, divers with BC's with Weight Integration pockets were very frequently guilty of ducking their head to "look down" to find their WI release tabs and drifting into the side of the boat. There was an couple from Nevada that I frequently was putting a hand down on their heads that week to help maintain their stand off, and not end up under the boat. As such, I'd catagorize WI systems as yet another widget that needs to be objectively evaluated instead of optimistically assuming its the next best thing since sliced bread with no downsides.

Regardless of whether or not I once enjoyed tobacco use, I have never enjoyed breathing petroleum products. As many can attest, a good inhilation of two stroke exhaust combined with large seas can make one ill for days. Smokers or non-smokers.
On a drift dive, a good operator will stage himself downwind and use the engine to hold the boat position against the wind, while the divers drift in for their approach and boarding. If the boat's downwind, so too is its exhaust.

No. Situational Awareness is independent of keeping one's head above water at all times. Does a diver - who's head is below water the entire time he's diving - have no Situational Awareness?

SA is contextual. When you're at the surface, you need to monitor potential hazards in both the air hemisphere above and the water hemisphere below. Needing to interrupt the monitoring of whichever hemisphere is currently of higher priority for SA is best avoided. Having to dunk your head to slip out of your harness is an interruption.

I think what you're implying is that a diver who ducks out of his gear is at risk of being "brained." I see that risk as one that's lower than the risk of a failed QD.

That's based on your experience, which is going to be influenced by the environments that we dive in. If you're in freshwater cave country, perhaps the biggest risk is slamming pickup truck tailgates. But in other environments (such as bluewater sea states in small chase boats), those hazards are far removed and other hazards take their place.

No one system is the optimum for all applications.

-hh

-hh once bubbled...

No system is perfect. While webbing is crush-resistant, its primary vulnerability is cutting,

Right. Which isn't fixed on a "regular" BC either. In fact, the problem's worse, since the material isn't as rugged.

and there have been many complaints about Halcon's BP's poor machine finishing that left burrs that have caused harness webbing cuts.

True. Of course, the problem is easily remedied with a nail file... And the problem doesn't exist with FredT's plates, Scott Koplin's plates, or Gary Hoadley's plates.

However, the BP still has the shortcoming of putting the webbing through a very short bend radius, which is why you'll find recommendations to replace "worn out" webbing every couple of seasons.

True. Total cost = about $12, every couple of seasons. The webbing is not replacable at all on a "regular" BC, and believe me, that wears out too.

I'm not a fan of plastics, but I've slowly grown to respect them. For example, a molded BC of course solves the tight bend radius webbing wear problem, and it also solves the nondeburred metal-on-webbing cutting problem. Only question is if its rugged enough for your "Bubba" dive buddies who tend to slam things in pickup truck tailgates because they're so careless with their gear, but I have faith :D

Regardless of whether this is just a problem with "my Bubba dive buddies or not" (and it's not), plastic BP's are not desireable for two other reasons... One, they do nothing for your trim... They do not have the built-in advantage of placing the weight over the most buoyant part of your body - your lungs. Only SS bp's have this advantage. Second, plastic BP's are acutally positively buoyant, meaning that they INCREASE the amount of inherent buoyancy in your rig... Meaning that you now need to wear more weight to get negative. What's worse is that they do this right over the worst spot to do it... Over your lungs, which are already positively buoyant. All of this to fix a problem which doesn't exist... Your perception that a plastic BP is going to wear on your harness less (a $12 item).

First of all, not all plastics are positively bouyant. Just take a look at dive fins and you'll see that some of them float and some of them sink.

...Which is why rubber fins are preferred by many experienced divers. The fins that you're claiming "don't float" generally don't do so because of the fact that they have a "certain type" of plastic in them... They do so because there's rubber in them.

Second, the pragmatic, real-world densities for them are generally very close to water. So the bouyancy values we're talking about having to potentially correct for are almost zero, which makes it a non-issue.

That's not true.

Your legs are wrapped in positively buoyant neoprene, as are your feet. Already, there's a "built in" "floaty feet syndrome" which works against good trim. Fins should be negative to offset this effect.

Those people who dive without rubber fins either deal with "floaty feet" or apply another band-aid to remedy the situation... Ankle weights. Why not avoid the band-aid and just do it right from the outset?

Third, even if a half dozen of them added together were to add up to made for ~8 oz, do you even have a 1/2lb lead weight to add to your weightbelt to compensate for it? If not, how about a 1lb weightbelt weight? The reality here is that pragmatically, no one dives absolutely perfectly trimmed out - - its always just getting it close enough, with better divers being within +/- 1lb and no better.

I dive perfectly trimmed out. So do many divers I've dived with. It's a hallmark of DIR diving.

What's even more interesting is the fact that the fins they usually choose make their feet even more negative than they need to be... In other words, the heavy fins are actually an overcompensation.

They then use a bend in the knee to adjust their trim correctly. More bend, and their body tilts forward. Less bend, and their body tilts upward. Not only does this allow them to maintain "perfectly trimmed out" through a variety of situations, but it allows them to control their body attitude without sculling or moving at all. It's an amazing bit of control that get super-obvious when you dive with them.

Fourth, the density characteristics of plastics today are very highly tailorable. Oak Ridge National Labs has demonstrated plastic composites that had Specific Gravity values approaching 10. For reference, SG of water = 1, SG of aluminum = ~2.6; SG of steel = ~7.8; SS of lead = 11.

Well, point me to a BP that's made of that stuff and I'll consider it.

What this means that if a dive manufacturer was willing to make the injection mold equipment investment, we could have "plastic" BP's that don't have the current bend radius problem

It's only a problem in your mind. Those of us who dive with a bp/wing (not you) have not had a problem with it.

that don't have the unburred edge cutting problem,

Most bp's don't have this problem either, but if yours does, it's easily remedied for free.

that are weighted to whatever we want (including heavier than even Fred's "thick" SS BP), while all at the same size, and with superior corrosion resistance,

This reads like your list of problems that doesn't exist. I know people who have been diving SS bp's for decades - in highly corrosive salt water - that have no corrosion on their bp's. In fact, I've never seen a bp with corrosion on it.

material toughness and tensile strength values to current AL BP's. And if we all bought one, there would be adequate production volume to amortize their investment costs out and make them less expensive than today's machined SS BP's, beause they have lower production labor costs.

Well, point me to one and I'll try it out.

As I said...I'm not a fan of plastic, but I have grown to respect what "plastics" can do.

Me too. They work well in a variety of situations... However, it's also been my experience that they don't wear well in the current applicaitons in scuba diving.

You're free to go debate this with a couple million Glock owners on the Internet. :D Meantime, the US Military is highly interested in them because of three simple words: "Lighten the Load". If these materials can withstand the performance requirements of militarized systems, they'll be more than good enough for recreational civilian needs...note that there have been "plastics" used on the M16 rifle since before you were born.

Hey, I'm not saying that Glocks suck... I have no idea. Perhaps their specialized "plastics" work well for that situation. That doesn't change the fact that QD's crack, break, fade in the sun, and generally have issues... All while fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

Not quite. The solution was to accept their SOP for water exit. I had the choice of using a QD or not, and I found that using a QD made this less-than-desirable SOP safer, because of improved diver visibility (and thus SA) of the at-surface environment.

Well, I wasn't there, and you're welcome to make any choice you desire.

I have been in similar situations and chose to solve the problem without using QD's.

FWIW, divers with BC's with Weight Integration pockets were very frequently guilty of ducking their head to "look down" to find their WI release tabs and drifting into the side of the boat. There was an couple from Nevada that I frequently was putting a hand down on their heads that week to help maintain their stand off, and not end up under the boat. As such, I'd catagorize WI systems as yet another widget that needs to be objectively evaluated instead of optimistically assuming its the next best thing since sliced bread with no downsides.

Or rather... The people that you speak of needed to work on Situational Awarness. The problem wasn't in the WI pockets.

Nonetheless, I, too, question WI pockets... But hate weight belts because I find them uncomfortable. There are better solutions to the weight problem than either of these.

...And the one that comes to mind immediately is having equipment that's negative to begin with.

SA is contextual. When you're at the surface, you need to monitor potential hazards in both the air hemisphere above and the water hemisphere below. Needing to interrupt the monitoring of whichever hemisphere is currently of higher priority for SA is best avoided. Having to dunk your head to slip out of your harness is an interruption.

As I said before, you consider the interruption an unacceptable risk. I consider QD's an unacceptable risk. There are solutions to the problem that includes neither, so why debate it any longer?

That's based on your experience, which is going to be influenced by the environments that we dive in. If you're in freshwater cave country, perhaps the biggest risk is slamming pickup truck tailgates. But in other environments (such as bluewater sea states in small chase boats), those hazards are far removed and other hazards take their place.

FYI, I do not live in cave country, and most of my diving's done in the open ocean, off a boat, and in "bluewater sea states." And I would have agreed with your concept that "no one system is the optimum for all applications" until I found one that was.

jplacson once bubbled...
Ok, I think the issue of QDs has pretty much taken over this thread... :lol:

Yes. And what's worse is that it's a pretty pointless debate. QD's break, no matter what the theory is on plastic production. He accepts it and says that it's a nonissue. I don't.

Reverting back to Halcyon gear... Seajay, or anyone else who has a Halcyon BP...
Have you guys ever tried the Halcyon Life Raft thing? Not the Surf Shuttle, the full raft... folded up, does it fit in the MC Storage Pack?

I have the 60lb. Halcyon lift bag in my MC pack, which fits with room to spare. I understand that the Surf Shuttle fits perfectly, and that the full raft fits with a little hanging out the bottom... Although it's still under the bp... It just hangs out of the MC pack a little.

...Of course, I don't know this for sure, that's just what I've heard. I've never used a full raft with my rig.

-hh, can you get a full raft in a "regular" BC? :wink:

I had my first dive with the Halcyon this weekend... man it SUCKED!!!!

:lol:

HAHAHAHA... gotcha! Hehehehe... I loved it! It was great... finally got my buoyancy checked as well. I can get by with just the AL plate and the STA, which is about 2lbs, so that means if I don't use the STA I can replace it with just a 2# trim weight on the tank belt.

I had my first night dive, and my first Nitrox dive as well. So that was really cool.

I love the O-shape of the bladder... fully inflated, and leaning back... the thing feels like an inflatable bed! :) And since the top part of the bladder is a bit larger than most BC bladders, it keeps my head from banging against my 1st stage.

It wasn't as invisible as it's supposed to be yet, mainly cuz I was fiddling with my weights and buoyancy. But now that I've got it down, I can strip down to the minimum! :)

No system is perfect. While webbing is crush-resistant, its primary vulnerability is cutting,

Right. Which isn't fixed on a "regular" BC either. In fact, the problem's worse, since the material isn't as rugged.

Since its less prone to abuse, it doesn't need to be overbuilt. Overbuilding a component because of an avoidable design flaw is nothing more than a klunge, and should not be defended as the "right way" to do things.

...and there have been many complaints about Halcon's BP's poor machine finishing that left burrs that have caused harness webbing cuts.

True. Of course, the problem is easily remedied with a nail file... And the problem doesn't exist with FredT's plates, Scott Koplin's plates, or Gary Hoadley's plates.

True. But your 'nail file' hearkens back to my early comment about expensive-yet-incomplete products ("unassembled"). For $500, I expect the problem to not exist. Ditto for staple holes in the Bladder from lousy shipping packing.

However, the BP still has the shortcoming of putting the webbing through a very short bend radius, which is why you'll find recommendations to replace "worn out" webbing every couple of seasons.

True. Total cost = about $12, every couple of seasons. The webbing is not replacable at all on a "regular" BC, and believe me, that wears out too.

Yes, everything wears out. You consider a biannual $12 (+labor) webbing replacement to be acceptable maintenance; I do not.

Because I've owned BC's where the only maintenance that they've needed over ten (10) seasons of use were a couple of power inflators and a tank cynch strap....no webbings, no bladders, no QD's...I see a biannual rewebbing to be a rediculously short maintenance cycle...it is analogous to having to replace the battery in an automobile at a rate of twice per year.

If I'm radically unusual in how long I'm able to make my gear last, perhaps its because I take better care of it, day to day. With some attention to detail, you can do this too.

...plastic BP's...do not have the built-in advantage of placing the weight over the most buoyant part of your body - your lungs. Only SS bp's have this advantage.

Second, plastic BP's are acutally positively buoyant, meaning that they INCREASE the amount of inherent buoyancy in your rig...

Any BC that uses a tank strap (eg, ALL of them) can accomodate a weightpouch on the same to adjust trim...not just SS's.

Second, every plastic backpack that I've used or owned over the past 20+ years sank in a pool. Many did have voids that you had to let fill with water, but sink they did.

FWIW, just how do you think we practiced "ditch-n-don" drills twenty years ago if as you claimed all of this equipment floated?

That's not true.

Your legs are wrapped in positively buoyant neoprene, as are your feet.

That's a change in material to support your arguement.

Neoprene floats because of the air bubbles within its matrix.

The Queen Mary is a steel ship that floats because it also has a big bubble of air in it.

Get rid of the air bubbles and neoprene sinks.

Ditto for plastic BP's...they can trap air. A properly designed one vents out in ~10 seconds and is not a problem. And a poorly designed one can have additional venting added with a 3/8" drill faster than one can deburr a lousy BP slot.

I dive perfectly trimmed out. So do many divers I've dived with. It's a hallmark of DIR diving.

Gosh, you wouldn't know it, with all the people who fail the DIR-F class! :D

Fourth, the density characteristics of plastics today are very highly tailorable....

Well, point me to a BP that's made of that stuff and I'll consider it.

Send money and I'll arranged to have one made. Because of the mold fabrication cost, the fixed cost for "first one off" will be around $25K.

What this means that if a dive manufacturer was willing to make the injection mold equipment investment, we could have "plastic" BP's that don't have the current bend radius problem

It's only a problem in your mind. Those of us who dive with a bp/wing (not you) have not had a problem with it.

You have a very poor memory: this tight bend radius is why you *still* have to replace your webbing every ~2 years even after you deburred the BP...see your third paragraph above.

The simple facts are that a tight bend radius creates what is known in Engineering as a "Stress Riser." Good Engineering design principles include avoiding stress riser in loaded areas, and the BP slot arrangement violates this very basic principle.

I know people who have been diving SS bp's for decades - in highly corrosive salt water - that have no corrosion on their bp's. In fact, I've never seen a bp with corrosion on it.

I notice that you caveated your BP statement with SS. How about Aluminum BP's...care to make the same claim?

And for SS BP's, just which grade of SS re you referring to? 301, 302, 316, 410, 420, 430, 440, or something else? Do you even know which grade is the one most commonly used in a SS BP?

I assume your claim is: "Whatever grade they're using because I don't really know" SS. FWIW, one of my SS plates has some rust on it, even though most divers claim that that's impossible...just shows how ignorant they are of metallurgy. If I get a chance, I'll try to remember to take a digital photo of it for you to see.

Hey, I'm not saying that Glocks suck... I have no idea. Perhaps their specialized "plastics" work well for that situation. That doesn't change the fact that QD's crack, break, fade in the sun, and generally have issues... All while fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

So are you willing to entertain the concept that maybe someone cut a corner and made a cheap product, or do you still condemn all plastics no matter what?

If you consider replacing your webbing every ~2 years to be acceptable, then someone else might find it better to _prevent_ their gear from being exposed to possible damage in the first place.

In the case of cheap plastics, this would mean to not throw it carelessly around where it can get crunched in tailgates, to not let it lay around baking in the sun, and other very basic common sense steps that we all know that we should all do anyway no matter what the gear's actually made of. Automotive dashboards are notoriously cheap, and yet today, most last for a decade+ with virtually no fade, shrinkage, or cracking, despite years of sun beating down on them in a hot interior.

FWIW, divers with BC's with Weight Integration pockets were very frequently guilty of ducking their head to "look down" to find their WI release tabs and drifting into the side of the boat...

Or rather... The people that you speak of needed to work on Situational Awarness. The problem wasn't in the WI pockets.

Nonetheless, I, too, question WI pockets... But hate weight belts because I find them uncomfortable. There are better solutions to the weight problem than either of these.

...And the one that comes to mind immediately is having equipment that's negative to begin with.

Gosh, now you agree with the need to keep your head up on the surface for maintaining good Situational Awareness!

And while one alternative to WI is the SS BP and keel weights, it is important to not ignore the risks associated with deploying significant amounts of non-ditchable ballist, and deplete your ditchable weight capability just in order to be a bit more comfortable (or "perfectly trimmed") on a dive.

Ballasting methods is just another factor to consider when systematically acessing overall system trade-offs and risks, and unfortunately, its also one that is increasingly deprioritized by some divers today (sometimes unknowningly). Considering that most diver deaths include a failure by the victim to ditch their weights, this is not an insignificant theoretical risk.

I consider QD's an unacceptable risk. There are solutions to the problem that includes neither, so why debate it any longer?

Because you've taken your personal conclusion and made it into an absolute "best for everyone", with no tolerence for differences in opinions, or total system priorities that might result in different trade-off conclusions. Sorry, but I don't drink that Kool-Aid.

...I would have agreed with your concept that "no one system is the optimum for all applications" until I found one that was.

And the old saying that immediately comes to mind is: "Jack of All Trades, yet Master of None". If that's what you want, so be it...but please don't claim that I'm obligated to dive with the configuration that's your personal preference.

-hh

SeaJay once bubbled...

-hh, your "standard" SS bp is just under 6 pounds, not 8.

I was not the one who made the claim that their SS BP knocked off 8lbs; check the archives.

-hh

SeaJay once bubbled...

Yes. And what's worse is that it's a pretty pointless debate. QD's break, no matter what the theory is on plastic production. He accepts it and says that it's a nonissue. I don't.

At the same time, CJ accepts the fact that his metal BP will cut through his harness probably every ~100 dives (in ~2 seasons) and somehow blandly considers that point of failure to be a "nonissue".

-hh, can you get a full raft in a "regular" BC? :wink:

If you choose a BC design that doesn't prefer to float you face-down on the surface, you don't need the raft.

That's the Hogarthian approach :D

-hh

-hh once bubbled...

Since its less prone to abuse, it doesn't need to be overbuilt.

That's simply not true. Both designs are subject to the same exact environmental conditions. Where do you get this stuff? Do you really think that somehow a "regular" BC isn't subject to the exact same abuse as a bp/wing?

True. But your 'nail file' hearkens back to my early comment about expensive-yet-incomplete products ("unassembled"). For $500, I expect the problem to not exist. Ditto for staple holes in the Bladder from lousy shipping packing.

I'll respond to your posts here... Although I'm getting tired of debating this. It seems that you're convinced that if you throw enough words at me, you're going to win this debate.

I'm not a fan of the Halcyon bp's, for exactly the reason you mention... But the fact is that it's easily remedied in ten minutes with a nail file.

What's NOT easily remedied in ten minutes with a nail file is a crappy broken QD, the instability in a "regular" BC that allows my tank to move all over the place, or the notorious BC-around-the-shoulders float from a BC that doesn't stay where it's supposed to be.

Yes, everything wears out. You consider a biannual $12 (+labor) webbing replacement to be acceptable maintenance; I do not.

Because I've owned BC's where the only maintenance that they've needed over ten (10) seasons of use were a couple of power inflators and a tank cynch strap....no webbings, no bladders, no QD's...I see a biannual rewebbing to be a rediculously short maintenance cycle...it is analogous to having to replace the battery in an automobile at a rate of twice per year.

Now you're starting to make things up. This is silly. Replacing straps every two years (or every 500 dives or so) equates to maintenance of $6 per year. Additionally, the webbing doesn't NEED to be replaced... It's just something that I like to do to keep things nice.

Your comparison of replacing an automobile battery every six months... Or a maintenance issue of $150 a year... Has no similarities to replacing the webbing every couple of years by choice.

I don't know where you got this idea that the webbing - which is perhaps one of the most rugged parts of a bp/wing - is a weak point. That's just silly.

If I'm radically unusual in how long I'm able to make my gear last, perhaps its because I take better care of it, day to day. With some attention to detail, you can do this too.

:rolleyes:

We all take very good care of our gear, thank you.

Any BC that uses a tank strap (eg, ALL of them) can accomodate a weightpouch on the same to adjust trim...not just SS's.

Right. Yet another band-aid to correct a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Second, every plastic backpack that I've used or owned over the past 20+ years sank in a pool. Many did have voids that you had to let fill with water, but sink they did.

Really? The ones I've owned didn't, whether they were filled with water or not. I've never seen one made of material that's denser than water.

FWIW, just how do you think we practiced "ditch-n-don" drills twenty years ago if as you claimed all of this equipment floated?

Lead. Heavy tanks. You guys didn't wear lead weights? Funny... Did the characteristics of water and the human body change over the past few decades?

That's a change in material to support your arguement.

Neoprene floats because of the air bubbles within its matrix.

The Queen Mary is a steel ship that floats because it also has a big bubble of air in it.

Get rid of the air bubbles and neoprene sinks.

Neoprene without air bubbles in it is not called "neoprene."

There's no "change in material to support my argument." Neoprene floats. I don't care what the theory is on it... The point is that in order to avoid "floaty feet" while wearing neoprene, divers wear ankle weights, negative fins, or they just deal with it. Those are the three options, no matter what your "theory of neoprene" is.

See, that's what supports the idea that you don't really have a clue as to what you're talking about... The fact that you talk in theory, not in reality.

Ditto for plastic BP's...they can trap air. A properly designed one vents out in ~10 seconds and is not a problem. And a poorly designed one can have additional venting added with a 3/8" drill faster than one can deburr a lousy BP slot.

Hey, man... Feel free to dive whatever you like. It's no skin off my back.

Gosh, you wouldn't know it, with all the people who fail the DIR-F class! :D

Let's recap: I said, "Perfect trim and buoyancy is a hallmark of DIR diving," and you said, "You wouldn't know it, with all the people who fail the DIR-F class." It boils down to this... Perfect trim and bouyancy is not only taught there, but required. Those who can't do it must fail and retake the course. What's the failure rate have to do with whether or not perfect trim and buoyancy is a hallmark of DIR diving? Do you believe that GUE should pass divers unable to meet minimum requirements for trim and buoyancy?

Send money and I'll arranged to have one made. Because of the mold fabrication cost, the fixed cost for "first one off" will be around $25K.

Jeez, I see that cost as preventive... I'm not paying $25K to have a backplate made in plastic... When a metal one, with exactly the same buoyancy characteristics - costs me $59.

See, once again you show that you think in theories. This leads people to believe that you lack real-world experience. No diver I know would consider $25K as a realistic alternative to a $59 metal backplate... Which is completely problem-free anyway. You've made up a problem which you think is there... That really isn't. Because of one manufacturer's crappy build quality, you've inaccurately assumed that all bp's have this certain issue... And that's just not the case. What's really funny is that your proposed solution is a series of band-aids and then a $25K backplate.

You have a very poor memory: this tight bend radius is why you *still* have to replace your webbing every ~2 years even after you deburred the BP...see your third paragraph above.

Personal attacks prove only your inability to debate rationally. I do not have a poor memory.

I replace my webbing every two years because the ends get frayed and the material begins to soften. Also, the color begins to fade from repeated exposure to sun and chlorine in our local pool.

With ~150 dives on my bp/wing in the past six months (about twice what you're claiming) my webbing looks as good as the day I bought it, save for some color fading.

Of course, "regular" BC's aren't immune to this either.

FYI: A "tight bend radius" is necessary for the straps to stay put. You also have them on your QD's, your buckles, and your clips. Why argue a nonissue... Especially when your "regular" BC has the same "nonissue" as well?

Creating a $25K negatively-buoyant, plastic bp with no tight bend radius would not allow the straps to "stay put." Your resolve, I suspect, would be to sew the straps to the $25K plastic backplate and then place a couple of "tight bend radius" adjusters on the front of the rig. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

The simple facts are that a tight bend radius creates what is known in Engineering as a "Stress Riser." Good Engineering design principles include avoiding stress riser in loaded areas, and the BP slot arrangement violates this very basic principle.

Webbing is a thick piece of cloth, man... It does just fine there.

Why do you insist on making an issue out of a nonissue, but then accept flimsy components (that are made of plastic, but for the sake of argument - and in order to quell your smoke debate on plastic - I'll not talk about the material, but only say that they're flimsy) on your life support system? It seems to me that your logic is backwards... I believe in addressing an issue with a solution only after it's proven to be a problem.

I notice that you caveated your BP statement with SS. How about Aluminum BP's...care to make the same claim?

Actually, I covered all materials when I said, "I've never seen a bp with corrosion on it." It's true... I never have. I've heard of AL plates getting "hazy" after many repeated exposures to salt water, but I understand that a wipe with any metal cleaner does the job of keeping things shiny just fine... If you're into "shiny." I've never actually seen the problem. However, I do know that conversely, there's little you can do about a worn out or aged-looking "regular" BC.

And for SS BP's, just which grade of SS re you referring to? 301, 302, 316, 410, 420, 430, 440, or something else? Do you even know which grade is the one most commonly used in a SS BP?

Of course I do. Again, let me repeat... Personal attacks only prove that you can't win your debate on logic... They do little but discredit you.

I assume your claim is: "Whatever grade they're using because I don't really know" SS. FWIW, one of my SS plates has some rust on it, even though most divers claim that that's impossible...just shows how ignorant they are of metallurgy. If I get a chance, I'll try to remember to take a digital photo of it for you to see.

Sure, I'd like to see that.

Making your own bp out of the neighborhood STOP sign doesn't count, by the way. :)

If you must know, I was talking about the well-known bp's from Scott Koplin, Gary Hoadley, and most of all, FredT. I'd love to hear you debate metallurgy with him.

It's true that the Halcyon bp is made of a material which is not as resistant to corrosion... But then it's electroplated as well. Still, I've yet to see a Halcyon bp rust.

...And debating whether or not 420 stainless rusts in salt water is pointless... Unless, of course, you can show me a 420 stainless bp...

So are you willing to entertain the concept that maybe someone cut a corner and made a cheap product, or do you still condemn all plastics no matter what?

I never did "condemn plastics no matter what." I said that your plastic QD's were a failure point with no benefit. Your smoke-n-mirrors seems to be confusing you.

If you consider replacing your webbing every ~2 years to be acceptable, then someone else might find it better to _prevent_ their gear from being exposed to possible damage in the first place.

I do not see how your QD's prevent "possible damage in the first place." THAT was the point of our debate - the "QD's." You've taken this completely off-topic... And rambled quite a bit. At least, that's how I see this.

In the case of cheap plastics, this would mean to not throw it carelessly around where it can get crunched in tailgates, to not let it lay around baking in the sun, and other very basic common sense steps that we all know that we should all do anyway no matter what the gear's actually made of.

Well, if you were as experienced as you claim, then you'd know that typically, when you're boat diving, there's not a whole lot you can do to avoid having your gear sit in the sun. Typically, shade is at a premium.

...And my original example of having your buddy place his tank down on your QD seems to have been ignored by you. Instead, you've taken my less common tailgate example and run with it.

Automotive dashboards are notoriously cheap, and yet today, most last for a decade+ with virtually no fade, shrinkage, or cracking, despite years of sun beating down on them in a hot interior.

Ah, yes... But don't forget the automotive glass that's been improved as well, to block incoming UV rays. These have done an excellent job at keeping out the most damaging part of the sun's rays. These are not present on your dive. Furthermore, it's my bet that your QD is not made of the same plastic that a dashboard is.

Gosh, now you agree with the need to keep your head up on the surface for maintaining good Situational Awareness!

My original fix was to board the boat without doffing your gear, remember? That is the solution that solves both problems best, and is what I was referring to. However, you insist on doffing your gear... And are apparently more willing to part with your life support than I am. Whatever the threshold is, though... We both agree that there can come a time when doffing gear is necessary... But for this rare instance, you believe that you need a flimsy device which is prone to breakage to assist you in doing it. I believe that it's better to remove your gear without the flimsy device... Which may (or may not) require a head dunk for a couple of seconds.

Regardless, I do not maintain that Situational Awareness has anything to do with whether your head is above the water or below. Good Situational Awareness is a skill that's aquired regardless of your head being up or down.

In fact, it's been my experience that diving offshore - where the waves can be large, like in the example you give - typically is in visibility that exceeds 10 feet. Thus, a diver does not have to have his head above the water to keep an eye on the boat. It's visible from either above or below the surface.

...So no, I don't think that Situational Awareness has anything to do with keeping your head above water. Situational Awareness is a skill that you develop, and is independent of the environment.

...But the bottom line is that your claim of keeping the head above water "to keep an eye on the boat" is wholly inaccurate... Since in the example you give, "keeping an eye on the boat" would not require a head above water.

And while one alternative to WI is the SS BP and keel weights, it is important to not ignore the risks associated with deploying significant amounts of non-ditchable ballist, and deplete your ditchable weight capability just in order to be a bit more comfortable (or "perfectly trimmed") on a dive.

Ballasting methods is just another factor to consider when systematically acessing overall system trade-offs and risks, and unfortunately, its also one that is increasingly deprioritized by some divers today (sometimes unknowningly). Considering that most diver deaths include a failure by the victim to ditch their weights, this is not an insignificant theoretical risk.

I'm amazed at how you have the ability to take a simple system and seriously cloud it with crap.

Let's also not forget to point out that it's equally important to ensure that when/if you do decide to ditch weights, that not ALL of your weights get ditched... While it may be important to get positive, it would not be desireable to do so at depth and all-at-once. Having some ditchable and some non-ditchable is what I've been taught. What have you been taught?

Because you've taken your personal conclusion and made it into an absolute "best for everyone", with no tolerence for differences in opinions, or total system priorities that might result in different trade-off conclusions. Sorry, but I don't drink that Kool-Aid.

Sorry, but that personal attack is only showing that you can't express your point logically.

You're wrong about the entire statement above. My personal conclusion didn't happen until after I was taught it by an agency that has members with a combined countless number of dives. They taught the methods for trim and bouyancy, and after trying several methods, I've come to certain conclusions. If you have a better way, then I'm all ears.

...But so far, what you've talked about is the way I was originally taught in my PADI OW class, and I've found a better method. Furthermore, I didn't say that I had "no tolerance for differences in opinions." What I said specifically, in fact, was, "Feel free to dive any way you like." I believe I also followed that up with, "You and I simply disagree... Who am I to tell you how to dive," and, "Whatever works for you..." Did I not? Check and see for yourself.

I couldn't care less how you dive. Feel free to make your own decisions... I did. I do feel it unfair, however, that you chastize me for my decisions.

There's no "Kool-Aid" involved. That's junk spouted by someone who's never taken the course, never been in the class, and has no idea what they're talking about... Other than the second or third-hand baloney that's been dished about.

Please get educated on the topic before spouting off.

And the old saying that immediately comes to mind is: "Jack of All Trades, yet Master of None". If that's what you want, so be it...but please don't claim that I'm obligated to dive with the configuration that's your personal preference.

-hh

What do I care what rig you dive? Where did you come up with this junk? You have repetitively attacked my opinion of QD's, which ended up in a discussion in plastics... Which led to a discussion in buoyancy. I've seen a lot of misinformation - or theoretical hogwash - thrown about by you in this thread, and now you're accusing me of telling you that you're obligated to dive a certain configuration?

Bud, I couldn't care less what you dive. But when you tell me the sky is green, I'm going to remind you that it's blue...

Back
Top Bottom