Cheap Eats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m willing to bet that a big portion of the cases of Montezuma’s Revenge reported by tourists is the result of too much alcohol, too much sun, and too little hydration, with no microbial vermin involved. Food is blamed because it is just easier to claim that you got some bad tacos than to admit that a day in the sun with nothing to drink but margaritas just MIGHT have been to blame. Still, its always better to take precautions, and avoiding food sources with no refrigeration in 90 degree heat is pretty good advice.

I’m willing to bet that a big portion of the cases of Montezuma’s Revenge reported by tourists is the result of too much alcohol, too much sun, and too little hydration, with no microbial vermin involved. Food is blamed because it is just easier to claim that you got some bad tacos than to admit that a day in the sun with nothing to drink but margaritas just MIGHT have been to blame. Still, its always better to take precautions, and avoiding food sources with no refrigeration in 90 degree heat is pretty good advice.

That's why tacos are always served with limon verde--to kill the germs! :wink:

I was sitting with my toes in the sand in a restaurant in Puerto Vallarta sipping my limonada con soda at lunch time and some gringos at the next table asked me what kind of margarita I had. They looked stunned when I told them it was lemonade. No doubt they were on their way to dehydration and possible heat stroke. They also didn't tip the guitar players so I think they deserve it.

Any good recs for grilled fish filets (tacos/dinners/etc)? One of my my buddies is looking for grilled, rather than deep fried.

Any good recs for grilled fish filets (tacos/dinners/etc)? One of my my buddies is looking for grilled, rather than deep fried.

In my opinion, best fresh fish on the island is at Pescaderia San Carlos, not open for dinner (closes about 4:30 or 5:00, if I recall correctly), but a great place for a late lunch. Grilled fillet with garlic sauce is one of my favorites, and the Sopa Mariscos is definitely worth a try. Back around 35 (35 bis, if I remember right), take a cab.

Not in Cozumel but in Playa on the beach and second street, one block north of the bus station, a restaurant called La Tarraya. Fish fillet with rice and a little salad is 70 Pesos. There are a few options on how its cooked but I like garlic the best. Their shrimp plates are 90 Pesos each. Domestic beer ranges from 25-30 Pesos. Mostly locals but I don't know how they offer these prices at this location. I have eaten there 4 times already. Good place to hang out waiting on the ferry. Not gourmet but good food, low prices and eating with your toes in the sand, hard to beat.

FF928A85-DAAE-4190-A863-91239CE9BDF6.jpeg
F6701CDC-6EAD-4AF5-90A1-81FA079D57DB.jpeg
Here is Pescaderia San Carlos, and above is what the grilled fillet with garlic sauce looks like.

In my opinion, best fresh fish on the island is at Pescaderia San Carlos, not open for dinner (closes about 4:30 or 5:00, if I recall correctly), but a great place for a late lunch. Grilled fillet with garlic sauce is one of my favorites, and the Sopa Mariscos is definitely worth a try. Back around 35 (35 bis, if I remember right), take a cab.
Awesome, thanks. They were already on my list of possible lunch spots, we'll definitely try to make it there.

For grilled fish, St. Chuck's Fish Shack as mentioned above, La Conchita del Caribe, Camilo's (which usually has marlin), La Perlita (which has grilled lionfish filets). Some are lunch-only.

Fish tacos on the island are usually fried filets cut up. Fish will be served with tortillas and at St. Chuck's with slaw, so you can make your tacos the way you like them.

Fish ordered ala plancha (plain grilled), al mojo de ajo (pan-fried with garlic), or al ajillo (pan-fried with thin strips of guajillo chile) will all be non-(deep-)fried and delicious. If a menu lists pescado "al gusto" you can order it almost any way you'd like.

Just back from Cozumel. Lobster and bacon sandwich at Le Chef!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom