Cheap Eats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When did you become an expert on Austin streets?

Austin was my stomping ground, many moons ago. I thought my story would be a good explanation of how these "1/2" streets came to be.

Austin was my stomping ground, many moons ago. I thought my story would be a good explanation of how these "1/2" streets came to be.
When did you live here? I have been here since 1981.

Just realized that no one's mentioned Pollo Asadero. The location I use is on Coldwell (30th) just north of Calle 5 Sur. 70 pesos for roasted 1/2 chicken, stack of tortillas, rice, onion, and salsa. My wife and I have a hard time finishing all of it. If you need more, a whole chicken is 110 pesos. Limited seating at this location.

Just wanted to bump this thread and rep Cerveceria Punta Sur. I don't see a lot of talk about them and I can't recommend them enough. Outstanding staff, service, craft beer, pizza (especially the lion fish), empanadas and salads. They are right across from La Choza and open around 4pm.

CVP8.jpg

CVP7.jpg

CVP6.jpg

CVP5.jpg

CVP4.jpg

CVP3.jpg

CVP2.jpg

CVP1.jpg

CVP10.jpg

CVP9.jpg

If you want great tacos, as well as other authentic Mexican dishes, I would highly recommend Taquiera El Nero on 30th right next to Dominoes Pizza. I had 3 great tacos and an aguas fresca for $62pesos. Locals love the place... opens around 7pm.

Also haven't seen Crazy King Burrito or Burritos Gorditos mentioned. These 3 are all "go to" staples for me, along with Cuatro Tacos.

Also, for a cheap dinner, show up to Dicks Dive around 6pm, order a couple beers, and you'll have a couple free tacos before long off the charcoal grill.

OMG, you have to try K'ooben Laab

Licenciado Pedro Joaquin Coldwell entre, Calle José María Morelos y 5, Centro, 77600 San Miguel de Cozumel

Ave 30 and calle 5 on West side of street. Blink and you pass it. Next to the chicken place, ParriPoLLo, also recomend.

Tiny place, 2 tables for 2 and a counter for 6 or 7. Homemade pasta and bread. 100 pesos!

K'ooben Laab Cozumel

BTW I don't think they have a liquor licence but byob is probably ok.

On our MUST go list from now on.

OMG, you have to try K'ooben Laab

Licenciado Pedro Joaquin Coldwell entre, Calle José María Morelos y 5, Centro, 77600 San Miguel de Cozumel

Ave 30 and calle 5 on West side of street. Blink and you pass it. Next to the chicken place, ParriPoLLo, also recomend.

Tiny place, 2 tables for 2 and a counter for 6 or 7. Homemade pasta and bread. 100 pesos!

K'ooben Laab Cozumel

BTW I don't think they have a liquor licence but byob is probably ok.

On our MUST go list from now on.
They got their liquor license a few months ago. Still working on their expansion. I think I have been there 5 or 6 times in the past month...plus had their stuff delivered one night when I didn't feel like going out. They are my VERY favourite place in Cozumel at this time. I make my own pasta from scratch in Canada and I don't even bother here as theirs is every bit as good or better than what I make. And those two small tables at the front can be pushed together and they can seat 6 in total (because that's how many chairs they have).

They got their liquor license a few months ago. Still working on their expansion. I think I have been there 5 or 6 times in the past month...plus had their stuff delivered one night when I didn't feel like going out. They are my VERY favourite place in Cozumel at this time. I make my own pasta from scratch in Canada and I don't even bother as theirs is every bit as good or better than what I make. And those two small tables at the front can be pushed together and they can seat 6 in total (because that's how many chairs they have).

Must have been there just before them getting a license. So small, glad they are expanding because their food is REALLY good!

OMG, you have to try K'ooben Laab. Next to the chicken place, ParriPoLLo, also recomend.

I think it is next to a different chicken place on Ave 30 and calle 5. Still K'ooben Laab is not to be missed.

For some other hidden gems on Cozumel, check out the Youtube channel of Justin Springs, he has posted several videos of little locally-owned restaurants on Cozumel.

Can you link to this please? It doesn't seem to exist when I search...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom