Cheap Eats on Ambergris - San Pedro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I found a couple posts, but I am looking for a little more.

We are taking our daughter to Ramons for her first Caribbean dive trip. We did not want to eat all meals at Ramons given the proximity to the town. But we can be spending all our cash on food either. We dont need fancy, just fun and local. No picky eaters here.

What are some fun cheap eats in San Pedro? Any specific restaurants would be great! Primarily Dinners, some lunch (if close to Ramons).

Thanks!

Do you have a kitchenette? We saved a few bucks by buying eggs, cheese, salsa, beans at Ramons convenience store along with some fresh tortillas at the tortilla factory in town, and enjoyed Huevos Rancheros in our condo a few times during our trip.

Maybe not ideal for your daughter (depending on her pickiness), but it worked for us!

We also take a fair amount of food from home sometimes to save money. Dried soups, snacks, etc. only takes a little room in your luggage, and you can buy some local items to dress up your meals.

We did find restaurant food on Ambergris was more expensive than we thought, so I think you are right in doing some research first!

My wife and I alone would be happy with making some meals to cut costs - did so in Bonaire. Not this trip though.

I have read some info that says dining afforadbly is fun and easy, but others have said its expensive. Our Daughter is 22 and pretty adventurous with food.

May I shoudl clarify what I think is expensive.

If we could get dinners for < $15 each I would be happy.

May I shoudl clarify what I think is expensive.

If we could get dinners for < $15 each I would be happy.

From what I remember (4 yrs ago), that ain't gonna happen. :no:

(but, I haven't kept up on it, so I'm sure other's have more/better info!)

You can spend as much or as little as you want on food I personally eat from the street vendors and the food is excellent and very inexpensive I think if you can up your budget to $20.00 I think with some care you can get away with that if you avoid the expensive restaurants.

Holiday hotel has a beach bar b ques on the beach and sell the B B ques for $10 US for a nice plate of Bar B ques and they have music too, nice location and nice evening out.

Do not be afraid to eat from the street vendors its not mexico and there no stomach issues to worry about.

Here is a link for you Belize Dining Guide, Restaurants, Dinner, Lunch, Meals, Delicious, Food, Restaurants on Ambergris Caye, Belize

Heres another link with a free voucher for conch ceviche and a rum punch at carambas which is a good restaurant

http://ambergriscaye.com/caramba/art/Mail0002.jpg

There is also celis deli that sells sandwiches and meat pies and all sorts of snacks for breakfast or lunch very inexpensive takeaway.

You can get a good burger at Legends average price starts at $6.00 heres the link to there menu Legends Burger House Menu | The only King Kong Burger in Central America | Legends Burger House

Elvis Kitchen is a favorite and they have an all you can eat Buffet on fridays serving lots of mayan/mexican dishes also ther menu is located at Elvi's Kitchen, Ambergris Caye, Belize prices are in Belize dollars

On sundays there is BC's ...... bar b ques a local hang out

another inexpensive place and a favorite with the locals is el Fogon heres the link

Belize Restaurants, El Fogon, Belizean Creole and Mestizo Cooking

If your careful you can do it on your budget but i would allow for a couple of nights where you double it to expand your options

Have a great trip

Gaz Cooper

Thanks Gaz! These are excellent links. I think we can have fun without breaking the bank.

a quick question about getting around. many of places I think we will try are a mil eor less walking. for further places - what are the options? taxis or ???

Ramons is pretty much central and you can get around by walking form there however there are also taxis available, what i do suggest is you rent a golf cart for a day or so and go exploring around the island its fun and you can head all the way south and head north of town also to some of the north restaurants such as Legends etc

Golf carts are the Cars of the island and they are more expeinsive to rent than cars in most US states the daily rent is around $60.00 a day or $245 weekly but definately a fun way to get around.

There is also a water taxi service if you need to go way north.

very good! thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom