Cheap Eats on Ambergris - San Pedro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ramones has decent food but not great for the price. If I was staying there as close as it was to town I think I'd be hard pressed to have any more than one lunch and maybe a dinner at Ramon's. My personal favorite, though not cheap but also not expensive, is Fido's, my favorite tropical restaurant.

I also like Tackle Box for a good burger and fries for lunch. Lots of street vendors selling cooked chicken and other things at great prices.

You most definitely can eat cheaply in San Pedro. I’ll simply echo some of the other suggestions- the street food can be quite good. A burger at the Tacklebox, breakfast at Estel’s… Lily’s, etc. With that said, I’d still wanna treat myself to a good meal or two while down there. Sunset Grill was quite good as was Blue Water Grill.

Have a great time down there. I envy you.

Edit to add…
Re: getting around town
Taxi’s are quite cheap. But Ramone’s is centrally located, so you most likely won’t require a taxi to get to where you want to be in San Pedro. That is, unless you’ve had a bit too much to drink at Crazy Canuck’s and required one to get back to your hotel only a ½ mile away. But that never happened to me.

Awsome! I wish these options existed elsewhere we have traveled (Bonaire).

Cant wait to get there...trips in May.

Thanks for all the good ideas and tips! I have a nice long list of options.

Thanks ian! I think we can make this work pretty easy. we are all pretty open to fun and different.

Just got back from San Pedro and you'll find < $15us all over town. In fact it is pretty unusual for dinners to be > $30bz (unless you're only eating at Ramon's and Wild Mangos). Of course we stayed right in town - Conch Shell - so had a lot of choice without having to go more than a couple blocks (saying that Ramon's is central is a bit of a stretch, it is at the south end if not just a bit past the south end of town). Fantastic pupusa vendors on the middle street in town, and there are very cheap eats if you go to the unnamed vendors where all the locals are standing and get the special or the street meat in the plaza. Watch out for the pig tails - seems to be a specialty and we ran across them at several restaurants - we talked to several folks we saw who also tried them for the first time and most had the same faces we had - something to check off the list of having eaten, but not ordered twice.

I live in San Pedro, and I can assure you that you can eat pretty cheaply here. Not as cheap as in most other Central American countries, but highly affordable nonetheless. You can also choose to spend unlimited amounts, and in my experience the law of diminishing returns cuts in sharply. Some of the places that have been mentioned here charge IMO absurd amounts for small quantities of average quality food, fussily presented. But that's the same everywhere, including in the USA and Europe.

Have no concerns. Just don't be taken for a ride once you get here.

fun fun fun! I am looking forward to the adventure and seeking out some good eats.

Our last 2 trips were all inclusive, which is ok when the options are difficult,, but we are excited to get outon the town and mix it up this time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom